Garmin Edge 500

michael

Has anybody looked at or got the new Edge 500 and are they happy/not happy with it and why?

I have the Edge 305 ( more than happy) but was just wondering if this one gives more ( or less ) features. I dont have a power unit except on my indoor Tacx trainer so that feature i dont need. Open to all ideas and options

Have been using it for little over a month I think.  LOVE it.

Has one or two software issues with it freezing at some stage pressing lap but that has been sorted out.

Batterlife is not bad.

There is a DECENT review here:

Got mine today, charging at the moment! Will do the latest firmware update first if there is one and then start using it tomorrow but for now .... dum dee dum dee dum *tap* *tap* *tap* impatiently on desk!

I've read the manual and still have a 301 and was using a 305 so not that much new, interesting it has temperature but apparently it 'needs time to settle down' and isn't that accurate but oh well lets see. It also doesn't have routes or waypoints like the 305!

hi michael the 500 bundle is ok but got one problem you dont get the training centre software with they only supply user manual cd.If its your first garmin then you have to download  trainingcetre which is 107mb.Your old 305tcentre wont work you have to upgrade the software. 

Got mine today' date=' charging at the moment! Will do the latest firmware update first if there is one and then start using it tomorrow but for now .... dum dee dum dee dum *tap* *tap* *tap* impatiently on desk!

I've read the manual and still have a 301 and was using a 305 so not that much new, interesting it has temperature but apparently it 'needs time to settle down' and isn't that accurate but oh well lets see. It also doesn't have routes or waypoints like the 305!
[/quote'] What!!! real men don't read manual's....or at least don't admit it.

I was interested to see at the joBerg2c that Andrew Maclean was using a 500, and shan still had a 705 (tied fast with cable ties around the whole unit to stop it falling off!) Chatting to him, Andrew reckons the 500 is the way to go. I have a 705 and am very happy with it. The 500 is just so much smaller (lighter) which is a good thing.

Got mine today' date=' charging at the moment! Will do the latest firmware update first if there is one and then start using it tomorrow but for now .... dum dee dum dee dum *tap* *tap* *tap* impatiently on desk!

[/quote'] What!!! real men don't read manual's....or at least don't admit it.

Exactly why the majority of 'real men' should stick to a 3 function Sportsmans Warehouse bike computer (Wired!) Tongue

very happy with my 500 no hassles have not even upgraded the software works perfect

Love the edge 500, but did lose my info from the lion man race. seems finicky as to exactly how you save the data after a ride, or it is not stored in the memory. 

first check if you did press  start when you s tarted off if you did then it should be in the memory of the unit. 

Pondering this purchase over non-GPS VDO, just wondering how that sensor will cope with sitting on the flex point of the Scapel carbon chainstay...

Pondering this purchase over non-GPS VDO' date=' just wondering how that sensor will cope with sitting on the flex point of the Scapel carbon chainstay... [/quote']

The sensor will cope but I have heared rumours that the FRAME gives way with that sensor fixed on the rear flex. 

GPS works fine...why bother with the sensor?