Mountain Bike

CarbonCAS

Hi everyone,

I am thinking of buying a MTB as it seems more fun than only road riding.

I have a couple of questions regarding MTB's.

1. I ride a Raleigh RC6000 road bike, what would the equivalent MTB (Hard-tail) be? I'm not thinking of buying new, so not money wise but spec wise. I'm a weekend warrior so not gonna break the bank to get a new ride.

2. What is the equivelant groupsets to road? I know you get LX, SLX, XTR but dont know which is better....

3. I am 181cm and ride a 56cm road bike. What would the equivelant size be in MTB sizing, 20 - 21"?

4. Is there someone selling a MTB in this range?

Thanks in advance smiley1.gif smiley1.gif

If you are able to visit a few decent bike shops, start browsing and chatting. You'll soon get the picture.

Look to spend 8-  12k on a hardtail. You'll get a reasonably decent spec for that. There are a lot of specials on at the moment - eg Schwinn Moab carbons.

LX is the old SLX which is <XT<XTR. Look for a bike with at least a mix of SLX and XT components. Try and avoid Deore - it works but hubs are not sealed like the SLX and XT versions. SRAM groupsets are also good X7 and up I think.

You'll probaly be fine on a Large frame - 19-20" max, remember you want stand over clearance on a MTB.

Hope this helps

Don't go hartail.......

Get a bike with Hydraulic disc brakes.....

Try for a Giant Anthem or Giant Trance (either the normal or the X versions).....

If you are 181cm I'm afraid your 56cm Raleigh is too big for you. A 56cm compact is in the regent of a 58-60cm traditional frame. I'm 180 and now ride a 52 Raleigh and before that a 56cm tradition frame. My HT is a M with 585mm top tube. Forget about S, M or L or even inches. Each manufacturer makes their frame their own way. Look for virtual top tube.

If you are 181cm I'm afraid your 56cm Raleigh is too big for you. A 56cm compact is in the regent of a 58-60cm traditional frame. I'm 180 and now ride a 52 Raleigh and before that a 56cm tradition frame. My HT is a M with 585mm top tube. Forget about S' date=' M or L or even inches. Each manufacturer makes their frame their own way. Look for virtual top tube.[/quote']

They told me this at the LBS as well, the problem is my upper body is longer than normal, and my legs shorter than normal, my brother has a 54cm, tried that out for a ride but feels like I am hunched the whole time, very uncomfortable. 56 fits me just fine.

• 4 weeks later...
What do you guys and gals think of a Silverback Nebraska?
New.

Could you maybe include a spec sheet, and a price.

It would help us to form a better opinion I know silverback is good value for money.