9 speed upgrade?

Tuxstir

hi.

i've upgraded my bike from a 8 speed to a 9 speed this year. new chain, cassette. rd, my queastion is do i eed to look at getting new chain rings aswell? if i do it means a new crank and bottom bracket.

tedibear2010-05-14 03:13:04

As I'm also looking into this upgrade soon, the real benefit for me to upgrading my chainset is the gear ratio.

Finding an "8spd" crankset with the same gear ration of a "9spd" is very hard when on a budget.

@JB: Will it be possible to just replace my "8spd" 28-38-38 Crankset with a standard 9spd crankset and still keep my 8spd chain/cassette?

thanks jB i only ask as i seem to be suffering from a high degree of chain suck when the going gets a bit muddy.

thanks jB i only ask as i seem to be suffering from a high degree of chain suck when the going gets a bit muddy.

it wont make any difference changing your crankset or blades

chain suck is due to the lack of lube & thats as simple as it is. Do yourself a favour. I got taught a trick, if you have an empty eye drop bottle lying around, drop some lube in there & keep it with you always on a ride. Its many a time saved my chain from chain suck after some heavy weather terrain riding

i hate chain suck & theres nothing worse, it nearlty destroyed my derailer the other day by folding it double into the chainstay

As I'm also looking into this upgrade soon' date=' the real benefit for me to upgrading my chainset is the gear ratio.

Finding an "8spd" crankset with the same gear ration of a "9spd" is very hard when on a budget.

@JB: Will it be possible to just replace my "8spd" 28-38-38 Crankset with a standard 9spd crankset and still keep my 8spd chain/cassette?
[/quote']

cant see it making a majorly noticable impact but youll see a very slight speed difference on the downhills speed wise

only difference between 9 speed & 8 speed is one extra granny if you want to call it that

your ultimate granny is still 34 11 on 9 speed, exactly the same as 8 speed

I opted for a 28 11 when i upgraded my 8 to 9 spd. That way i was forced to climb the hills better, but has a drawback by making me work that little bit harder ( have to admit it does get tiring after a long hill though ), but im glad i did do it, as i seem to pass others on the uphills while they are giving the cadence sensor a good working
BumpNgrind2010-05-14 03:59:39

Thanks BumpNgrind.

i did a bit of searching now, and came across this...

http://www.fagan.co.za/Bikes/Csuck/

20100514_040919_triangle.gif

now my bike is about 5-6 years old and its done roughly about 12500k's mostly commuting and mostly not under the best maintance.. i.e lots of milage on dry/ gritty/ worn chains

thats changed this year...

i'll use your idea for now. but maybe i'll change the cranks set later anyway.

As I'm also looking into this upgrade soon' date=' the real benefit for me to upgrading my chainset is the gear ratio.

[/quote']

cant see it making a majorly noticable impact but youll see a very slight speed difference on the downhills speed wise

only difference between 9 speed & 8 speed is one extra granny if you want to call it that

your ultimate granny is still 34 11 on 9 speed, exactly the same as 8 speed

I opted for a 28 11 when i upgraded my 8 to 9 spd. That way i was forced to climb the hills better, but has a drawback by making me work that little bit harder ( have to admit it does get tiring after a long hill though ), but im glad i did do it, as i seem to pass others on the uphills while they are giving the cadence sensor a good working

Thanks. Reason why I ask is that I commute to work each day and I hit seriously hectic uphills. Granny gear gets used a lot more than what I feel like.

[/quote']

I dont understand why you think you can get a different ration on 8 or nine.  The available rations are determined by the number of teeth on the largest and smallest sprocket. What you get in 8 you get in 9...unless availability is an issue I don't know of.

On the crank question. Yes, a 9-speed will work with 8-speed drivetrain but there is no advantage other than perhaps going to hollowtech and saving some weight. The hollowtech BB is a downgrade though.

[/quote']

I dont understand why you think you can get a different ration on 8 or nine.  The available rations are determined by the number of teeth on the largest and smallest sprocket. What you get in 8 you get in 9...unless availability is an issue I don't know of.

On the crank question. Yes, a 9-speed will work with 8-speed drivetrain but there is no advantage other than perhaps going to hollowtech and saving some weight. The hollowtech BB is a downgrade though.

Thanks. I just wanted to confirm this before I tried anything - I read it was possible on Sheldon Browns site but I always like to get a 2nd opinion.

I'm also aware of your opinion on hollowtech and I understand why.

Just got a replacement crankset (same ratio) and was considering selling it to get a set with different ratio but was not sure about the 8spd vs 9spd.

The hollowtech BB is a downgrade though.

jb why do you say the hollow tech is a down grade. i'm a ssuming you saying its a down grade from the splined bb, and not the square bb. sorry  know this seems to bed a silly queastion, but i've been out of the cycling community for about 10 years and things have chaged quite a bit since then

Tedi, I say Hollowtech is a downgrade from square taper in that the outboard bearing cup are expensive and don't last long.

The splined BB aka Octalink and ISIS is about as low as things could sink. These were completely stupid in that the bearings were absolutely tiny. I the case of the Octalink splines Shimano got it badly wrong. I've explained this before - before you joined probably.