Lightweight Wheels

gummibear

It's not often that a product impresses me like these did.

I went for a ride this morning with my neighbour....and he lent me his Lightweight Standard wheels to try out.

I am 89kg and wheels have a weight limit of 120kg,but that includes your bike and all your  kit which can add up a bit.

These wheels weigh only 1070grams a set and wow are they stiff.I am not a person who enjoys hills so i try and stay on the flats as much as possible but this morning we climbed..i think it was Jan's way of getting back at me for letting me ride the wheels.

Going up seemed a lot easier than it normally is and going down we hit 85km/h a few times and not once did i dought the wheels...my skill yes.

One section we rode was about 5km of cobbles and really bad road and these wheels took all the shock with no problem.

I have ridden many wheels over the years but nothing this light.I have ridden wheels double this weight and not half as stiff.

I actually enjoyed the climbs this morning and when we got home i actually wanted to ride more but my legs wouldn't have agreed.

Are they worth the money?YES

Do i want a set?YES please.

How did you gauge the stiffness? How do you know they were stiffer than your existing wheels?

Then, when you hit the cobbles, how did the stiffness morph into compliance so that it could soak up the shock?

Johan,i am comparing them to my Easton Circuits and my Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLR that i am riding at the moment.

Both of these wheels rub my brakes when i put pressure on them on some climbs and the Lightweights never did this.

On the cobbles they took the shock much better than my wheels and yes maybe the tubbies did also play a role here.

• 1 month later...

<P>Johan,i am comparing them to my Easton Circuits and my Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLR that i am riding at the moment.</P>

<DIV></DIV>Both of these wheels rub my brakes when i put pressure on them on some climbs and the Lightweights never did this.

<DIV></DIV>On the cobbles they took the shock much better than my wheels and yes maybe the tubbies did also play a role here.

<DIV></DIV>

• 2 weeks later...

Lightweight wheels are the bees knees IMHO.

That said, you get what you pay for....and at R40k a shot.....IT BETTER BE GOOOOOOD!!

There are a COUPLE of pro's riding these wheels disguised as other wheels from their sponsors.

Will I be buying a set for myself? Sadly no. If you have R40k lying around, yah sure......rather Lightweights than the strip club.

If you don't........Use R25k, buy a set of Zipps, save MORE watts than with the LW and use the other R15k to go on a trip to the Tour De France.

But that's just me.

:P

With you on this one, Spidy. Can't see me spending 40 BIG ONES on a set of wheels, even if I had the money.

(not ever having raced Elites, I cannot justify it in any case... :lol: <_< )