Mountain bike hillclimb

Clint Adams

What will help with getting used to the dreaded uphill battle for a beginner?

Will it just get better with the more saddle time I put in? Could I be approaching the ride wrong?

Any and all advice will be appreciated.

1. yes training is the only solution to going up hills better. You can get lighter wheels, frame etc. but those are just band aids that can do nothing about your ability

2. look up and choose a line and gear ahead of the time on technical climbs. It is not like road climbs where you make adjustments easily on the fly. Choosing the wrong line on a technical climb could be the difference between walking/falling and riding.

3. ride within yourself. Keep a pace that is comfortable for you and don't try and chase stronger rides. It is ok in training as it will make you stronger but in a race they will most probably drop you going up and you will be wasted. Unlike road it is much more difficult to recover if the downhill after the climb is technical so try and stay out of the red.

4. try to stay seated and standing on steep climbs could result in loss of traction.

5. if you have to stop or walk get of the line so that those who can continue can do so.

6. there is more honor in climbing a hill slowly than in walking it. BUT some climbs are just not ridable.

Well responded from chuck, I was asked this question over the weekend as well and when answering realized something else - fitness.

Sounds obvious but the fitter you are the faster you can climb and the faster you ride the more stable you are and more momentum you have for getting over obsticles.

Check the hill as you approach and decide on one of the two tactics, longer tech hills, grind up and stay out of the red, short hills it might be worthwhile to blast up them.

My 2c.

And the granny gear is not always the best option. I saw yesterday that the guys infront of me were totally out of breath when they reach the top due to their very high cadence.

My front wheel tends to lift of the ground when I go up some steep hills.  Is this a cycling uphill technigue problem or bike setup problem?

My front wheel tends to lift of the ground when I go up some steep hills.? Is this a cycling uphill technigue problem or bike setup problem?

Move forward on your saddle. Drop your upper boddy lower over the bars.

Fitness is key, I am off to do Breedts Nek this morning and it will be the fourth time, the first time I just about died, the second time was not as bad but it was still way k#K! The third time was waaaay better and this time I am actually looking forward to it! However this is over a period of 3 months, cycling 3-5 times a week, average rides from 40km onwards. When I started I used to ride about 6km and would be finished (smoking and drinking too much back then!) 3 months later, rides of 80km onwards are something to look forward to! Personally I feel that the only way to get fit is to stay motivated and realise that it does take time but once you reach a point where you notice you are better, things become so much easier and training now becomes enjoyable and something to savor! You also need to think happy thoughts when going up that long uphill!

I take it maybe my saddle could also be to low. I will check.

What would be the ideal ride height?

Just above the Hip or just below?

1. Its not a great idea to guess what the right setup should be. Rather get your bike setup done properly. It will help you alot. If you can't, don't go according to the height wrt your Hip. You have to look at your leg extension.

2. WRT to climbing, momentum is key. As soon as you loose momentum you are going to struggle.

Guest coenie

I had the same problem, front wheel lifting when going uphill....lots of people offered advice...sit forward....put your chest on your handle bars (as close as you can)...gear up....gear down etc....

Went for a pro-setup and it solved my problems, the front wheel stays on the ground, and the saddle height is now sorted... the earlier you go for a setup the less time and money you will spend trying to sort out the nigglies....knee pain, foot pain, hand numbness etc...