What is your Power to weight ratio ?

capeofstorms

Hi,

I'm trying to ascertain what the ideal power to weight ratio for my PPA group should be, so I can determine how far off I am. It would useful to know what PPA group some of the hubbers ride in and what their power to weight ratio is.

It also depends on the test that you have done.

Not all tests are the same.

My elite bud has a p/w ratio of around 5.8. That is good enough for some top finishes in elite.

I can push the same power as him, but the extra 15kg kills me. I am only pushing a mere 4.8 or so at my weight. I can ride with G group, but H is more manageable when it comes to hills. Big big hills, rather drop me to Z smiley11.gif haha!

I think it is more important to know how long you will be able to deliver a certain amount of power rather than just looking at your pure short term power to weight ratio. Like woofie said, depends on the tests you have done.

Below league level power to weight is quite a specific thing to be looking at.. if you want to be faster up hills eat less, sh*t more and ride up hills. Long, low cadence intervals will build strength. Drink only water and have a good recovery drink afterwards.

I weigh a lot compared to most of the guys I race with. To combat this I do the above and it has worked ok for me so far. A good 2.5 hour road training session would be Boyes Drive, Ou Kaaps steep side, turn around, Constantia Nek, Suikerbossie, Chapmans Peak, Ou Kaapse weg other side, Boyes Drive, home. Or go to Kloof Nek and ride up to cable station and down again, rinse, repeat until you can't any more.

I don't look at my power to weight very often, but when we did the league hill climb in Spring I think Marius worked it out for me at around 5.5. I managed to get inside the top 20 sub vets with that. Charles Keey won the elite hill climb and his power to weight was pretty much on 7.

lukehardiman2010-05-18 10:43:19

Dude at your level just worry about riding your bike as hard as you can..... unless you're planning to win the TdF.

In spring I think I weighed 86-87kg. Now I weigh 84ish.. probably not for long though now that winter is here. The gravitational force will be strong with me if I keep paying daily visits to Olympia bakery.

haha. I know the feeling.

So you have done pretty well then despite your weight.

That means that you could be pushing as much as 460 watts if your p/w ratio is correct.

I guess, I don't have a powertap. All I know is a lot of my stuff breaks - two sets of cranks, one set of pedals and one aluminium frame (massive crack at the BB) in the last year. I can only imagine what kind of power guys like Martin Wesemann are putting out, given that he climbs a lot faster than me and weighs nearly the same.

My power to weight of 5.5 was calculated based on Marius and I climbing together at the same pace up Taal Monument on a hill climb TT practice run. Ride duration was about 9 minutes I think. Remember your power to weight ratio decreases over time as you get tired. 

Ok stupid question, and most probably one that has been asked before and discussed. How do you calculate PW ratio? Do you need a powertap or is there another way (without taking a second bond on your house) to work it out?

watch the muffin-speak Tarmac, my keyboard isn't water proof!

BTW, Reg and Reece are coming round here at 1 to pick me up for another ride! gonna have to take tomorrow off and buckle down with some work.

Your power to weight ratioshould be expressed as your average FTP for one hour divided by your weight.

So I may be able to hold a power to weight of 6 for a brief time but not for a full hour.

So if Charles can hold 7w/kg for a full hour then he should be riding the TDF because that is what Lance pushes.

An Elite level cyclist should put out between 4-5w/kg for an hour. any more and your a contender in our local races.

My power meter says a little girl can go up hill faster than me. Confused