What is your Power to weight ratio ?

capeofstorms

@krl747 Marius has a powertap and calculates his power to weight by dividing his average power output by his weight. Because we climbed together at the same speed, our power to weight ratio must be the same. As I weigh more than him, I obviously had to put out more power to get up the hill at the same speed.

In short if you don't have a power tap, find someone who does and climb at the same pace as them. Then ask them what your power to weight was for the interval.

So if Charles can hold 7w/kg for a full hour then he should be riding the TDF because that is what Lance pushes.

dunno about an hour, but his time up taal monument was somewhere south of 7 minutes.

if you want to compare on tables of w/kg then it should be for 1 hour effort...

but as we dont like riding flat out for one hour and now have to stop at robots too it's hard to find a 1 hour long interval place.

You can do a 20 minute intervals and take your ave power -10% to give 1 hour of power.

Or you can do a ramp test, slowly increasing power by 50w every 2.5 mins until you cant turn the cranks on those frekkin spinning bikes any more! then you use the power number from the last full 30 secs you could perform.

Or you can do a ramp test' date=' slowly increasing power by 50w every 2.5 mins until you cant turn the cranks on those frekkin spinning bikes any more! then you use the power number from the last full 30 secs you could perform.
[/quote']

Ramp test will give you an indication of power @ VO2Max - maximal aerobic power.  20/60min TT will provide power at lactate threshold.

I guess' date=' I don't have a powertap. All I know is a lot of my stuff breaks - two sets of cranks, one set of pedals and one aluminium frame (massive crack at the BB) in the last year.[/quote']

Hmm. I was going to suggest that you take my Pedalforce for a spin to try it out before buying one but now I am not so sure :)

Most peoples true watts/kg at threshold is lower than they think.

Is that because they think they weigh less than they do, or becasue they think they are stronger than they are LOL ... or both

Most peoples true watts/kg at threshold is lower than they think.

Is that because they think they weigh less than they do' date=' or becasue they think they are stronger than they are LOL ... or both
[/quote']

Most people have never done a true 60min TT with a properly calibrated power meter.  The results are usually lower than they think.

Grand Tour winners are in the region of 6watt/kg at threshold.

Tend to agree re the 60 min TT. The onlt time that I've ever done one was on Alpe d'Huez! It was actually reasonably close to my FTP based on 95% of 20 min avg power.

Tend to agree re the 60 min TT. The onlt time that I've ever done one was on Alpe d'Huez! It was actually reasonably close to my FTP based on 95% of 20 min avg power.

95% of 20 min max AP is a reasonable estimate.  But a lot of people use 20min NP which tends to overestimate.  Using 20min AP the FTP range can be 90% to 97%, which is quite wide.

Most people tend to use the estimate method that yeilds the biggest number, and there are very few properly calibrated and zero'd power meters in use.

I guess' date=' I don't have a powertap. All I know is a lot of my stuff breaks - two sets of cranks, one set of pedals and one aluminium frame (massive crack at the BB) in the last year.[/quote']

Hmm. I was going to suggest that you take my Pedalforce for a spin to try it out before buying one but now I am not so sure :)

I'm sold on your frame already so no need to risk it :)

Soon as I've bought my mtb I'm going to save up for one. At that price I can afford to buy a new one if it breaks after 6 months.

Well done at WP champs btw, hope they sort out the results - what a mess.