Meyersdal Nature estate, MTB

spaso9

hi all.smiley1.gif

i stay in glenvista and wanted to see if any hubbers stay in the meyersdal nature estate?

i see some people MTB riding around the perimeter and it seems there are some nice paths looking on google earth.

i have tried to go for a ride in the estate but security are having none of it.smiley36.gif

its really close to my house and would love to pop in for training ride in the week.

so does anyone live in the estate or now how i can get in to have a ride and check it out?

estate manager says i need to befriend a residint to get access smiley1.gif

thanks

I have a friend who is moving in there... Before they built that crap estate it was the best riding place ever. Although the motorbikers did mess it up... I miss the one downhill into the quarry..... sniff sniff good old times...

Um yes once they in but its a mission... Really not worth the effort....I think all the building  has destroyed any decent riding anyway

Hi.

Long story but I stay in Mulbarton 2x a week ,and would love to hear of any other places besides, Rietvlei farm to rideClap

Spas, easy solution, just get yrself a piece of land there, build a smallish mansion and you're in. Wont even be a far move, just round the corner. Or just flash that on call badge

Thanks trubs.

I'll try put in an offer this wk for some land.

The on call card doesn't work when u on ur mtb!!

Till then any friendly meyersdal residents?

• 2 months later...

At the risk of exposing myself, here is a letter I wrote which was published in the Alberton record some years ago about exactly this area .... despite promises from the said 'singer chap' it all came to nought! How many of the statmeents in this letter have come true ... uncanny that not?

Angry mountain bike rider !!!!

Having been a resident of Alberton for more than 20 years it saddens me to have to write this letter (my first) to the local newspaper. Myself and many others I have observed over the years have been training with our mountain bikes (without mentioning the many runners and persons walking their dogs) in the Meyersdal koppies. This has provided great pleasure and also kept many a youngster out of trouble. This morning at 6am upon entering the ‘koppies’ as they are affectionately known we were rather rudely turned away and refused entry by 5 or 6 security guards. When questioned why suddenly without notice we were not allowed in we were told that the ‘owner’ does not want us on his property.

I believe that the said owner, who’s name I have heard is synonymous with a certain forgotten singer whom I dislike as much, is currently developing almost any piece of available land despite the impact it may have on the local community. The youngsters I have mentioned earlier are being provided less and less facilities to be able to keep occupied in a constructive manner (in this case even physically fit). When these youngsters turn to alternative activities (i.e. drugs, alcohol and other ‘non’ constructive ones) my comment is shame on you for taking away one of the last facilities they have been able to make use of !!!!!!

Surely the impact of some mountain bikes, runners and dog walkers cannot be of such an extent that we should be rudely turned away? Or is the risk perhaps that we will leave the area with a pallet of bricks, toilet or basin strapped to our backs? The impact on the land sir is way lower than that of the graders, diggers and back hoes that you are using to turn these areas into ‘faux’ Italian villas and nature reserves (exclusive for the use of residents of the complex of course!)

I can understand that it may be necessary to keep ‘undesirables’ out but surely a judgment can be made for example in this case where persons are obviously not out to do any damage or steal anything. Perhaps a bit more thought should have been given to this than a blanket ‘the owner does not want you on his land’ statement. Again I say shame on you and all those who will purchase those properties as they will be the owners of the future refusing entrance to us ‘rabble’ into their posh nature estates.

There is a way... Although it is a slog...

If you go up the steep hill by Spar Comaro, there is another entrance up there :) just ride like you belong there ;)

The one entrance boom doesnt go the whole way across the lane ;)

So let him have his diamonds all to himself, we go and ride at Rietvlei instead!!

Been in A since '79, so know how you feel.

Mmmmmm Rietvlei - I have some thoughts there B)

Hi BigS, share them with us...and by the way we wlisten and try and please all. Wendell. 0829000749. Have a great Thursday

• 3 weeks later...

Rietvlei is great for technical rides, just ride up and over Wendel's revenge, then down past the pool a few times and you'll soon change your mind that Rietvlei is easy.

If you're looking for LSD, then there's hundreds of square kilometres south of Rietvlei just waiting to be explored - okay, so you can't do it on your own due to the element known as "crime", but you could easily get 70Km in.