Hand Signals

covie

Thought maybe someone who know all the hand signals used by cyclists can educate the rest of us that are trying to remember back to Sub-A when we last got taught about cycling safety.

And are there unique signals newbies should be aware off when trail/competition riding

true and although very funny, i keep on hearing about people complaining others dont sign, but i can find an official site indicating the various options for SA, you get for every other country but none for SA. Well not that i have found in any event.

Thanks Edman, the signals are way different that what i used while working in europe :) would have cuased some funnies using those signals Wacko

Hey don't knock the taxis. They treat me better on the road than the Sandton mommies in SUV's.

The most important ones are passing a slower rider and pothole/danger/glass.

Showing your water bottle before you drink is just silly. Rather concentrate on keeping a straight line and steady pace while you drink.

Hand signals on a trail? You will never have you hands on the bars if you have to point out rocks.

Another no-no is that stupid butt patting move. I have no idea where that came from. One year we did not use it, the next year everybody is using it, WTF.

Hey don't knock the taxis. They treat me better on the road than the Sandton mommies in SUV's.

I can't agree with you more. The scariest thing on the road has to be an over-nourished, over-groomed female in a Prado.

Taxi drivers are cool, if a bit dumb sometimes.

Hand signals on a trail? You will never have you hands on the bars if you have to point out rocks.

Another no-no is that stupid butt patting move. I have no idea where that came from. One year we did not use it' date=' the next year everybody is using it, WTF.[/quote']

haha

let me tell you if somebody but pats me on the trail I am going to give him more than a hand signal back!

I can't agree with you more. The scariest thing on the road has to be an over-nourished' date=' over-groomed female in a Prado.

Taxi drivers are cool, if a bit dumb sometimes.
[/quote']

At least they SEE me some of the time, which is more than I can say for most drivers - especially the ones with cellphones attached to the sides of their faces.

I have often have taxi drivers APOLOGISE for blocking me or making me wait (!) or even WAIT for me to pass them before they pull into the lane (!). How often do other drivers do that kind of thing??

Not all taxi drivers are like this, obviously. But I have had so many good experiences with taxi drivers vs other drivers that I am starting to wonder if is more than a coincidence... Maybe because taxi drivers are looking out for potential passengers, they are more aware of what's going on on and around the road - not just blindly looking at the brake lights of the car in front of them, like the usual braindead commuter.

smiley4.gif smiley32.gif