Shocking Service: Niner Bikes

ducttape

After almost 5 months of waiting, last few weeks of promises from CoolHeat of getting my Niner frame "next week", I finally have enough and contact Niner Bikes. And the shocking response:

Looks like my frame will be here in time for everyone else's 2011 stock!

=========

We have had a huge availability issue this year and I want to apologize for the delay on your frame. This is our issue (and an Easton Scandium tube problem) not Coolheat's. Coolheat has been patiently waiting on 4 different size small's from us here at Niner Bikes.

Once your frame is in the air I will let you know. Again I apologize for the lengthy wait.

Regards,

Brett

It is not uncommon to wait several months for a frame that seems should be 'in stock' when you're dealing with smaller bike companies. In 2006 I waited 3 months for a Titus. The previous few years there were some guys waiting 6-8 months for standard models.

The smaller companies do smaller production runs and sometimes that means that when a model is very popular they do run short. It's not like the bigger companies that have the entire years production run(sometimes several million bikes) in stock before they sell the first one. These bigger companies can also afford to run too much stock and come end of the season sell off at discounted rates to clear stock.

The smaller guys have to run a much tighter ship. Many people think that bike companies can just do a quick production run or just phone their supplier and order a few extra frames, but this is far from the reality.

And Niner's recall-issue last year probably didn't do them any favours either. In that instance they went out of their way to keep their customers happy so I don't think it's for lack of trying.

Just be patient and trust me, when you have it built up and you're heading out for the first ride you won't even remember the wait.

Nothing against them, but this is the reason I will go with a reputable brand. Just imagine the isusses you'll have when you have a warranty claim.

I think Niner is a great brand, and like the Niner guy says, this has to do with their stock issues, not Coolheat, who are at their mercy for stock. I also think they handled the recall and re-supplu of the Jet frames very well. Wait for your Niner bud, you will be happy!

I had the same issue... Didn't buy a Niner in the end and I am still a very happy 29er rider. Look around... But saying that, Vassago also don't have stock of the Bandersnatch at the moment. Must be the fact that the US is going into summer and everybody is upgrading and buying bikes ?

narra2010-05-18 06:48:24

Having ridden a few 29ers, I have to say that I would struggle to put my money down on anything other than a Giant or a Niner. And in that battle the Niner would still be the number one choice, allthough by a very small margin.

Nobody has 29er geometry dialled as well as Niner. I can't speak for the plethora of bikes available overseas though. Problem is getting a testride on one of those

Since when can you buy products and accessoried direct from Coolheat?

I have been reffered to a distribute in the passed?

I dont think you can buy direct from Coolheat...but their number is on the advertising for the products they distribute, so hence speaking to them about stock availability is understood.