Traffic lights - its time to stop

tubed

For those of you that still don?t stop, this is probably the single biggest irritant for car drivers and probably does the most for people to regard cyclists as illegitimate road users. <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

It took years to get people to wear helmets; hopefully this practice can be eradicated in less time.

If the pseudo pros in Sea Point and Camps Bay could stop, it would set a major example and the tide would begin to turn.

PS: if Pozzato can do it so can youWink (PS ignore the fact that he does not have a helmet on - it a hair thing for him)

20100517_234128_giro10st09ed-li.jpg 

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I always obey traffic stops and hate it when people ride past me and skip the lights.

One question though: I don't stop, but slow down, at a 3-stop if I ride accross.

Is this wrong of me?

Guest Agteros

if there is a stop sign / white line across the lane / words STOP on the tarmac you must stop, else it is wrong

Traffic light stopping - and general good, vehicle-like behaviour on the roads - much more important than helmets, IMHO.

What about a quick trackstand before setting off again or do you have to dab?

or even better. Do what a stupid w@nker does on my route to work. He rides circles in front of the two lanes of cars untill the light changes. One day he is not gonna be quick enough and a car is gonna go over him.

Guest coenie

So now it is ok to ride without a helmet as long as you stop at the stop street.....

I ride the way I feel safe....I feel safe wearing a helmet....wearing gloves.....stop / ride when I feel safe.....cars will NEVER like us so I have stopped trying.....

So now it is ok to ride without a helmet as long as you stop at the stop street.....

I ride the way I feel safe....I feel safe wearing a helmet....wearing gloves.....stop / ride when I feel safe.....cars will NEVER like us so I have stopped trying.....

No, not saying that...

Personally, I always ride with a helmet, but I place about 1% of my "feeling" of safety in that particular piece of equipment. The other 99% comes from avoiding accidents through awareness and style of dealing with traffic.

I'm just saying that the helmet is an overrated piece of safety equipment, to the detriment of some riders who neglect to do all the other important things to avoid accidents.

But Andrew said we dont need to stop?

that he did on national TV and all of CL and Club 100 was watching that evening.

For those of you that still don?t stop, this is probably the single biggest irritant for car drivers and probably does the most for people to regard cyclists as illegitimate road users. <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

It took years to get people to wear helmets; hopefully this practice can be eradicated in less time.

If the pseudo pros in Sea Point and Camps Bay could stop, it would set a major example and the tide would begin to turn.

PS: if Pozzato can do it so can youWink (PS ignore the fact that he does not have a helmet on - it a hair thing for him)

20100517_234128_giro10st09ed-li.jpg 
[/quote']

The point is about South African cycling but using a European example.  

Wearing helmets is not required in Europe and the drivers have a much different attitude to cyclists.  I doubt his actions are causing any concern.

What is concerning is that there doesnt seem to be a driver in that bus, so I hope its parked.  But in that case it's causing more of an offence than the cyclist.

Maybe we should start a new thread about inconsiderate bus parking.

What is concerning is that there doesnt seem to be a driver in that bus' date=' so I hope its parked[/quote']

the bus is on a trailer.

Dont twist things. This post is not about your personal safety, its about the general attitude of cyclists to anybody other than themselves and the reason why most motorists have no patience for cyclists.

Your helmet is only there to protect you - its your choice.

Stopping at a traffice light is there to not only protect you but other people - so the choice is not yours.

Your current attitude reinforces the view many motorists have of cyclists - hopefully you will see my point.

I appreciate that there may be in certain circumstances very good reasons not to stop - such as main road Woodstock at 7am on a Sunday morning.

But Camps Bay traffic lights are not such a case, just have a coffee at Cafe Sophia at 10am on a Sunday morning and you will see that the majority of cyclists have no regard for the rules of the road or the impact they have on other road users - other than their own personal safety.

What is concerning is that there doesnt seem to be a driver in that bus' date=' so I hope its parked[/quote']

the bus is on a trailer.

Embarrassed 

What? A driverless bus on a trailer??

What is it with the attitudes of bus drivers these days? Have they joined the Metro rail strike?

Guys, levity aside. Your safety is your responsibility. It is in your hands to be safe.

Mahatma Ghandi said "Be the change you want to see in the world." If you have a k@k houding because everyone else has one, then we are headed for total anarchy. If we all decide to have a gd atitude, then at least there will be some users with a good one.

Never mind what everyone else is doing.