"How much does it weigh" questions are silly

LazyTrailRider

What's up with people asking "how much does it weigh" when responding to for sale ads?

If you're buying something 2nd hand, I think it's pretty silly to expect the person you're buying it from to act like a product rep. They're not. They're the current owner and user. Sure, ask them if they've been happy with the gizmo, ask them what they don't like about it, or what they've upgraded or downgraded to, but PLEASE don't ask how much it weighs... It just makes you look like a tool.

If it's really a deal-breaker for you, look up the spec sheets you can easily find on the web. It's really not that hard.

Forks, for example: Surely if you're buying a fork in a specific performance/price class, all forks in that class will be within say 200g of each other, won't they? On a bike which weighs 12kg this makes 1.6% difference, and combined with a rider who weighs 70kg this makes 0.2439% difference to the total weight. Very silly.

MartinHattingh2010-05-18 05:51:37

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

smiley3.gif I can't believe you just said that !!!! It's all about the weight of the bike !! A 0.2439% difference is weight will make you about 50 nano-seconds faster over 80km !!!

But I totally agree with you , I find it very,very strange and amusing .

Quite a weighted opening post. Not to make light of a heavy situation though as im delighted to say I fully agree.

I guess my opinion although of little value, should help tip the scales in the complainants favor.

If I am to pay for postage then I will certainly ask how much it weighs. I need to make sure the cost of postage still makes it a viable bargain.

good point, and why is is that the same people ask the same questions for just about every sales add?? 

Surley you not interested in every bike thats is for sale?  have you got nothing better to do that read through sales adds and comment on every one?

If I am to pay for postage then I will certainly ask how much it weighs. I need to make sure the cost of postage still makes it a viable bargain.

Yes I am joking

Guest Agteros

Just follow (most of) what is happening on thehubsa.co.za via the RSS feed - with a rule to delete all the Wanted / For Sale / OT Classified posts. Then just pop in here to make the once in a while reply. You can even delete posts made by certain people smiley2.gif

Just follow (most of) what is happening on thehubsa.co.za via the RSS feed - with a rule to delete all the Wanted / For Sale / OT Classified posts. Then just pop in here to make the once in a while reply. You can even delete posts made by certain people smiley2.gif

Hmmm, now why haven't I thought of that!

Guest Agteros

Everyone except Agteros is taking this issue way too lightly.

I am too... lightly on my bandwidth smiley4.gif

Sometimes the weight question is necessary.

If I'm on a mission to build a sub 9kg ht and I have two options of a certain component, then 50g can make a uge difference.

So, if I can't find it on the web, then I will ask.

Daardie vraag werk op my tette.

I get it all day and every day. I do a zillions of quotes (OK, OK, a few a week) for custom built wheels and they all want to know what the wheels will weigh.

I'm not in the habit of weighing things. I weigh myself early in the new year to see how bad Christmas was this year, and then every now and then to see if this or that binge was as bad as I think, and that's about all.

Oh yes, I also weigh the spaghetti when I cook. I happen to know that 160 grams of dry spagghetti is just right for the two of us.