Rietvlei Alberton vs Rietvlei PTA/Centurion

mogwaai

Does anyone know if it's possible to ride at the Rietvlei Nature reserve along the R21 (I think) / Irene offramp. There are quite a few Rietvlei's.

I did a search on the hub and was wondering which one is everyone talking about which is good for training. Been to Groenkloof and the Alberton Rietvlei.

Secondly - is it quite safe?

Thanks in advanceĀ 

There are 2 short tracks there - nothing great and last time we were there it was a bit overgrown- should be safe as it is in the Reserve (pay about R10 to get in)

You can ride there I hate it lots of grass on the track so on a HT it kills your body. Our club goes there every once and a while I skip those club rides.

You can ride there . Two trails that I know of . Not a lot of riding . 1st trail is just single track and very flat , 2nd one has got rocky climbs and is more of a workout . It is not same as either Groenkloof or other vlei . You can also go and try out the new routes at the monument . It is as safe as you are gonna get .

Use to go there a lot . have not been there in a while , I think Daemon is actualy going there this afternoon to do some scouting . We will most probably start going there again more often once we start paddling for AR racing . smiley2.gif

Feedback from authorities. An annual permit for Groenkloof allows you to enter Reitvlei as well.

Ā 

The trails are both within

the Angling Area / Water Works boundaries and it is most doubtful that

there will ever be trails in the reserve itself. Mainly due to environmental

impact on both flora and fauna as well as the animals.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

The Sunrise Trail (Eastern

Bank) is 7km in length and the Sunset Trail (Western Bank) is 6km at the

moment. The Sunset Trail will be extended to include the ravine if erosion

will not be a problem.

Ā 

Ā 

"fauna as well as the animals" What is fuana thenĀ Embarrassed

Ā 

Does anyone know of any data on environmental impact of mountain biking - anywhere? I suspect, having been to rietvlei, a few times that a number of things impact on the environment more than mountain bikers would?

Ā 

Ā 

The trails at rietvlei is not being used much by MTB, not nearly as much as say Groenkloof so I doubt if you would see any impact. But unfortunately some MTB riders are a bunch of idiots. It has become a tendency over the last few months at Groenkloof for 'riders' to 'create' their own tracks. This happens when the current option is too difficult for them i.e. a big rock, mud or ditch. So instead of taking the opportunity to learn how to ride these obstacles they cut though the veld, other woosies follow and soon you have a track where it was not meant to be.Ā 

• 3 months later...

The trails at rietvlei is not being used much by MTB, not nearly as much as say Groenkloof so I doubt if you would see any impact. But unfortunately some MTB riders are a bunch of idiots. It has become a tendency over the last few months at Groenkloof for 'riders' to 'create' their own tracks. This happens when the current option is too difficult for them i.e. a big rock, mud or ditch. So instead of taking the opportunity to learn how to ride these obstacles they cut though the veld, other woosies follow and soon you have a track where it was not meant to be.Ā 

Ā 

Good day,

Ā 

I agree, the whole point is making use of the opportunity! Rode Groenkloof today. The visibility of these detours have become extensively more visible than in the past...

Ā 

Ā 

Regards,

WJ

Good day,

Ā 

I agree, the whole point is making use of the opportunity! Rode Groenkloof today. The visibility of these detours have become extensively more visible than in the past...

Ā 

Ā 

Regards,

WJ

Ā 

Agree!!!

If your ability does not allow you to cycle single track then stay on the bloody Jeep track. That is why it there, idiot!

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: