What the Stud is it for?

Groentrui

For what conditions are the studs on new MTB shoes used in?  

1. 1. For what conditions are the studs on new MTB shoes used in?

• Mud.
    • Rock.
    • All Terrain.
    • Just to look cool.
    • New Multisport, MTB and rugby

After 5 years I replaced my MTB shoes. For the new ones you can screw in some serious studs. I've cycled with it at Groenkloof, cause it looks cool, but couldn't yet figure out where to use it. All I know is it can be hazardous to tile floors.

They are not for SA. We don't have enough mud to warrant using them. It's right up there with using bar-ends with riser bars.

Bar ends and riser bars are cool. smiley20.gif

2nd that....What, are we roadies now that things are considered uncool due to some prevailing fashion sense? smiley2.gif

Bar ends and riser bars are cool. smiley20.gif

says the man with the lycra booties over his MTB shoes.

Since when did Mampara turn into Styleman??  Come on, riserbars, bar ends, spoke reflectors, cassette protector, booties, BEEG saddlebags, camelbacks and sleeveless tops all show you are tough and not bound by ridicilous style notions.  GO BIG!

...and what about a timetrial helmet to REALLY get up the nose of the mean boys next time you go downhill at Tokai!

i just heard stud' date=' sorry....Clap[/quote']

Did you want to know what one looks like? Just look at my avatar Wink Taps2010-05-19 09:04:19

They are not for SA. We don't have enough mud to warrant using them. It's right up there with using bar-ends with riser bars.

So it is for muddy riding. Thought about replacing them with rubber studs, that may help during portage in our highveld conditions. Doing the Monster next week (the little one though), but there is that part where you have to carry your bike up a steep hill.

They do come in handy when you need to portage up a a climb, especially in thickish sand or lose rock.

I love them! Perfect for purchase when climbing steep unrideable sections. Wouldn't do without them, or the bar ends on my risers.

Out of interest, what is wrong with bar ends and risers?! Makes things a lot more comfortable!

They do come in handy when you need to portage up a a climb' date=' especially in thickish sand or lose rock.[/quote']

Yep!!!!

Thanks people! So they'll stay on for the Magalies, since there is that portage stukkie in the middle...

In my opinion you can throw them away .... very seldom that the climbing sections are soft enough terrain.... the metal studs slip on any stones you encounter..... and it makes climbing on a hard surface a pain because your toes are too high.... i.e. the hard/stiff shoe soles don't bend and therefore you end up climbing on your toes .....or stretch your achilles to double its length !   Only suitable for soft grass