Meerendal MTB trails opening this Saturda

dirtman

THIS YEAR'S BEST KEPT SECRET IS FINALLY REVEALED!

Tygerberg MTB Club is proud to announce the OFFICIAL opening of a BRAND NEW TRAIL at Meerendal Wine Estate, Visserhoek Road, Durbanville on Saturday 22nd May. Riders and their families are welcome from 07.30, celebration breakfast will be served from 08.00 on the lawn of the Barn and Lawn restaurant.

The trail, conceived and built entirely by The Club and graded easy to medium, has been cleverly designed for the whole family to ride, is split up into three inter-leading, easy-to-access routes of 5, 10 or 14km. The tracks make extensive use of the natural contours of the land, avoiding mean climbs or dangerous rocky descents, with one main ascent on the long ride to test your mtb prowess called 'Stairway to Heaven' which features four specially constructed switchbacks, that a novice should be able to cope with.

Situated in the heart of the Wine and Wheatlands, Meerendal offers breath-taking views of the mountains from Robben Island around to Malmesbury, varied wildlife from bat-eared foxes to duikers to birds of prey, and a piece of tranquillity and solitude to take you away from the bustle of everyday life.

After your ride, reward yourself with breakfast on the lawn with the Club, or perhaps visit the Wine Tasting room where Daniel will give you an expert's guide to Meerendal's excellent wines. 

Non-club members can buy a day permit at wine sales for R25 per rider, Tygerberg MTB Club members ride for free. Outside of trading hours an honesty box system is in operation.

TO JOIN THE TYGERBERG MTB CLUB, PLEASE VISIT www.tygerbergmtb.co.za OR PHONE 0728528272 <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Will definitely be there! Anyone on the hub interested for a quick meet and greet there on saturday? Just to support the club and put some names to faces?

Cool stuff guys! I'll be riding a black Merida HFS 3000, Redish Bell helmet, white and black first ascent top. See you there!!

Jacques

Dirtman

you dont wanna sent me your email addy or phone number?

really keen but cant make this saturday.

need some info on all t/berg routes.

i love hillcrest and the amount of money ive dep. into the box i could have been a member already.

BMC, try the Tygerberg mtb website www.tygerbergmtb.co.za, or alternatively there is also a facebook group.  Really worth joining the club.  I've almost save all my membership fees by not having to pay to ride Hillcrest and we aren't even half way through the year and I only ride max twice per week. Ratty2010-05-21 02:49:56

I've just joined, should have done it a long time ago. Great work in maintaining the trails. See you tomorrow

I hear you Ratty!

I want to apply for membership. Thing is these days you have to belong to so many clubs just to access anything.

Ive been a member of PPA to do road league racing and joined the AMARIDERS earlier the year, because of the good work they were doing.

And #BOOM, along came T/Berg with their magical routes close to my doorstep.

So just to enjoy riding this year i need to belong to 3 Clubs - you see where i'm going .........

Anyhoooow, unfortunately AMARIDERS will loose a member, as at this stage i will get more 'rewards' out of joining T/Berg.

AMARIDERS and T/BERG - keep up the good work!

And thanks Ratty. Been checking out the site thoroughly. Got all the info i needed, except the new routes on Meerendal.

I guess all good things in time hey!!

If anyone thats going there tomorrow and wanna go again on Sunday and feel like showing me around, please give me a shout

And thanks Ratty. Been checking out the site thoroughly. Got all the info i needed' date=' except the new routes on Meerendal.
I guess all good things in time hey!!

If anyone thats going there tomorrow and wanna go again on Sunday and feel like showing me around, please give me a shout[/quote']

Hi BMC Fan

Just back from Meerendal after putting up the last direction signs. Directions are easy to follow and you do not need a guide.  I won't be riding tomorrow (son is playing hockey) , but might ride Sunday morning.  If I can make Sunday, I will post here Saturday afternoon and will also PM you.  

are teh trails suited to a beginner? my wife has just started and has had a bad fall and is thus a bit nervous on teh downhills. need somewhere to get her confidence up.

Well done guys! Lot of work goes into bringing a new trail into the world ... look forward to riding it soon.

are teh trails suited to a beginner? my wife has just started and has had a bad fall and is thus a bit nervous on teh downhills. need somewhere to get her confidence up.

There is only one downhill of about 50 metres in lenght on the entire route (on the red loop)  - not very difficult to ride, but she can just walk it down if needed. 

We have marked out 3 routes  - description as follows:

YELLOW ROUTE:

<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

FLAT, EASY AND JUST A VERY SHORT SECTION OF SINGLE TRACK.  IDEAL FOR BEGINNERS AND FAMILIES.  VERY EASY TO RIDE. LENGTH ? 5 KM

<?: prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />

GREEN ROUTE

INCLUDES ALL OF THE

YELLOW ROUTE
..  NO TECHNICAL SECTIONS. EASY TO RIDE WITH ONE LONGISH JEEP TRACK CLIMB TO THE START OF THE SINGLE TRACK.  LENGTH ? 10 KM.

RED ROUTE

INCLUDES ALL OF THE YELLOW AND GREEN ROUTES.  LOTS OF SINGLE TRACK.  DOES HAVE A FEW CLIMBS AND SWITCHBACKS, BUT STILL EASY TO RIDE. LENGTH ? 14 KM. 

BMC Fan and any other hubbers that want to join - I will do the Meerendal ride tomorrow morning, leaving form the Rose Garden in Durbanville at 7.45 am, going past the traffic circle at Durbanville High School at 7.55 if you want to join there and willl be at the Meerendal gate/security hut at 8.15 am if you want to meet there.  Pace will be medium.

As jy wil saamry, my kontakbesonderhede is braamlouw@yebo.co.za of 082-8298885.  As jy nie 'n Tygerberg MTB klublid is nie, bring asseblief R25 saam vir die permit.