Cmapagnolo and shimano MIX

Christoph

Hi guys

I am still u/16 but would really like to go to campagnolo. I have shimano 105 now and am considering a 10 speed record groupset.

Is it possible to fit shimano chainrings, chains and cassette and use the campagnolo shifters etc. as campagnolo chains and cassettes are very expensive and I don't want to buy 3 new u/16 campag cassettes and chains etc.

Thanks

The spacing on Campag cassettes is different to that on Shimano. You can use a Campag cassette with Shimano RD or vice versa but your shifting won't be great: there will be some gear combos (usually at either end of the range) that will not shift properly.

You cannot fit Shimano chainrings to a Campag crank and vice versa. The Shimano crank has a 130mm BCD while Campag has a 135mm BCD.

The chains have the same pitch and their width is very similar, so probably won't notice a difference if you use a Shimano chain on a Campag drivetrain.

If you're buying Campag parts, get them from Total Cycling (Ireland - remember to add VAT to their displayed price) or CWC (local). If you buy from anyone who brings them in through the local importer, JJ Cycling, you will pay a 30%-40% price premium.

One other thing...Campag brake levers are not compatible with Campag rear brakes. Campag uses single pivot and Shimano dual-pivot at the back. The travel is different and the brakes wont work properly. The front brake are no problem though.

But aside from that, I suggest you spend money on a training program and training outings rather than on fancy componentry. The guy doing a 800m in a Billabong vest is no faster than the guy doing it in a Nike vest.

Focus on your technique, endurance, skills and method rather than on the other stuff.

Thanks a lot for the feedback johan.. I totally agree with you.. I was just wondering if it would be worth the try

Try ride a bike with campy before splashing out on buying a grouppo. I wanted to upgrade to 7900 DA but once I rode SRAM, was obvious which I preferred. Now riding full SRAM Red. Its all a personal thing

when I first got into cycling - 15 years back (with a long lay off) I got a cannandale frame - a 2 series I think - and mixed campy record with shimano 105.  (sorry all you purists - I was a rookie!!!!)

Actually did my first Argus with downtube shifters.  All you need is a skilled mechanic who can think outside the box. Good luck.

well I have had shimano for a while. My dad has campag record which I would like ti 'inherit' from him if the cost is not to much... smiley4.gif

I really love the feel of campagnolo ... The main reason is because of the stern and adaptive(front derailleur) shifting and the ergo levers with an excellent braking fulcrum

when I first got into cycling - 15 years back (with a long lay off) I got a cannandale frame - a 2 series I think - and mixed campy record with shimano 105.  (sorry all you purists - I was a rookie!!!!)

What speed was it? I've read that it's easier to mix and match on 9sp. I believe it's because the cassette spacings are more similar.

Wow! I think it may have been a 7 speed.  And with the "mix" I upgraded (ha ha ha) to an 8 speed cassete. Then the next year I got 105 STI.  Man I was styling.  No more index down tube shifting.  That whole techy cockpit look made my day.