Online stores killing RSA economy!

FloatingPivot

Net om bietjie spoke op te jaag! Dink julle nie dat online stores ons ekonomie bietjie laag vat nie!

Ek dink nie ons besef altyd wat die koop van produkte by online stores tot gevolge het nie, en dan praat ek nie van warranty of enige iets wat technical support aan betref nie!

Dink daaraan die oomblik waneer jy 'n produk by die buiteland koop ontneem jy die invoerder van die verkoop van daardie item, wat weer die winkel ontneem van daardie produk.

die nagevolge is dar winkels wat aan jou, die klient, maar te gretig die diens lewer eintlik daar onder lei en het ons ook gesien toe daar laasjaar soveel winkels toegemaak het.

wat die gevolge daarvan is dat werkloosheid ontstaan, werkloosheid= minder geld wat in die ekonomie ingepomp kan word = inflasie wat in die eerste plek die oorsaak is dat verbruikers by die buiteland aankoop met anderwoorde ons hou aan om die bose kringloop aan te huts.

verder, die weker wat nou werkloos is kan nie sy of haar skuld bye die bank betaal nie wat beteken die bank kan nie daardie geld weer investeer nie!

Dink julle ek oordryf of sien julle my punt? Dink julle nie ons moet meer ons winkels ondersteun nie, en dalk net vir hulle vra vir afslag en onthou jy betaal nie net vir die produk nie, jy ontvang  waarborg en diens! en meesde shops sal as jy die part by hul koop dit gratis istalleer ook?
Marries2010-05-20 04:44:23

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Skies ek gaan sommer in engels -

I would love to agree, but the fact remains its a LOT cheaper in some instances to use international online stores.  But as Im not in the industry I must ask the question whether the local stores are just adding their reasonable margin or are they attempting to exploit the locals due to increased demand over the last couple of years...?

Most bike stores only add between 35-50% ons sertain items! on accesorys some bike stores will use a markup of anything between 50 and 70%(keeep in mind this is how they make thier money) Most bike stores only have a 35% mark-up on bikes , that means if the bike costs R1000.00 retail you will buy it for R1539.00 of which the store ontly makes R399 that is not much if you take into account that labour is used to assemble the bike, and most stores give you aftersales service guarantee. so for 399 thats a bargain!

30-50% is a sh*tload. If you look at IT hardware sales - that margins is closer to 12.5%. 

I doubt the bike stores are ripping anybody off. As in most sectors one needs to look at the wholesalers / importers. Not saying they're guilty in this instance but noone really looks at them, it's mostly the retailer that gets blamed.

Cycling, especially MTB'ing, has grown massively and our own retailers (LBS') are now screwing us over. It's always funny to me how you phone every cycling shop in the city and everyone will give you exactly the same price on the same product.

The LBS' do it to themselves. If the tax on tax on tax that you pay when you import isn't even a barrier anymore then you know how wrong they've got it and how badly we are being screwed over.

wat die gevolge daarvan is dat werkloosheid ontstaan, werkloosheid= minder geld wat in die ekonomie ingepomp kan word = inflasie wat in die eerste plek die oorsaak is dat verbruikers by die buiteland aankoop met anderwoorde ons hou aan om die bose kringloop aan te huts.

There is a big difference with buying things that are PRODUCED LOCALLY but then buying the same outside the country. The distributor also imports the goods from the buiteland. So why cant we do so also at good prices?

They should have thought about that when times were good and they shafted the consumers!! I buy as little as possible from LBS, service my own bikes (i get by with a liitle/load help from my friends) and as far as warranties are concerned, with the lower on-line prices,  I generally buy 2 of every item and forgo the warranty. Having said that, an online shop sent me the wrong size seatpost, when I brought it to to their attention, they told me to keep it AND sent me the correct one, how is that for service!!

What happened to the free capitalistic approach, free market system and

all the hype.

But alas some suppliers have lifestyles to finance and we the END user

get ripped off

Sorry my afrikaans is crap...so can't comment too m uch on the original post.

What is the average price for bike? If its R10 000, then the R3999 per bike is not too bad. Then think of the R25000 bikes, of which many are sold.

I think that 35% is high.

Can I mention the word collusion again? The reason the shops were investigated is because they were raking in massive profits. Not too many struggling businesses have been accused of collusion.

The other problem with the LBS's (at least the ones I've dealt with) is that in general their service is ***. So, you pay the premium and get *** service. That's when I feel like I've been ripped off - I don't like that feeling so, I bring in all my own kit (and I can choose pretty much anything I like) and learn to fit, measure, install the thing myself. Every now and then I get caught out - wrong part, wrong size, whatever but I'm still saving heaps and learning and all importantly not being ripped!

Personally I think the on-line stores are great and I will continue to support them. They provide some much needed competition to our local guys who have in the past managed to cruise along as they were the only option.

I support my local bike store mainly! But when I need tubbies and a few other things i go to CRC. Why spend R750 for a tubbie when I can buy it for R300 from chain reaction.

What beats me is that a Shimano product comes out of the same factory. How can one can buy it cheaper through CRC even after the import duties?. Can the bike shops confirm they are been screwed for import duties? Their mark up is not great but something is wrong if the same product can be imported below the cost the LBS says is their cost price. Remember, everyone just wants a great deal - cyclist and LBS. 

you know what.....

i say enough of this nonsense & ill tell you why

if you are one of the dedicated purchasers of the LBS industry just because you feel its your duty to bring your side to the local industry then so be it, You are screwing yourself in the naught & as the saying goes. As jy dom is moet jy k@k

perhaps those that feel that way earn packets of money every month & the like

let me tell you what 90% of others dont, hence the overseas purchasing. You know why ill also continue to support them. They made it their business overseas to compete more whereas in this country we still get the gravytrain drivers. They not passengers but drivers. In other words ill still screw you & why - because they can.

im not gonna be screwed over for someone else to have the benefits thats for sure

so stick that straw in your hat & deal with it

I think the distributors are a big problem in the way they attempt to regulate retail prices. If anyone tries to sell for less they clampdown on them.

By keeping retail prices high they are able to keep their wholesale margins big. just look and see what Obike is charging now for that matter raleigh/ giant all have significant specials on their bikes.

Ag shame, the poor little victims. In case the bike shops haven't noticed but there is a revolution going on. Its called the information age and things have changed for good.

How long do these guys need to burn fingers before they learn their lesson. Up to this point there is only one LBS in SA that has cottoned on to this fact and are doing amazing business. You don't see them crying into their rice crispies every morning about how technology is ruining their business, they just grabbed the bull by the horns and joined the revolution. Its actually quite simple really, eat or be eaten.