Please rate my project for entry level bi

chrispaxman

Im building a bike(s) as a project. The spec below is for an entry-level hardtail for the weekend rider looking for a simple hassle-free ride. Please vote "yes" if you would expect a casual rider to walk into a local store and think this would be a good purchase against the major brands or "no" if you think the pricing is too high for the spec. Remember this is to be marketed at casual riders not familiar with brands or with any technical knowledge or experience. Please keep your objectivity on your responses. Constructive criticism welcome.

The spec is as follows:

Generic MTB hardtail frame, 7000 series triple butted. Think GT Avalanche quality. It will branded with my own name.

Rockshox Dart 3 forks

Full DEORE groupset including wheelset and hydr brakes

Sunline bars, headset and saddle

Other controls and finishing kit will be generic

Michelin tires

Target price: R14 950.00

No, for R15000 you can get mid/high end alu hardtail with Recon fork, Name brand finishings and high end components.

Eg

Giant XTC2 - R11600 from Cyclefactory (I use them since they put their prices online)

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-IN/bikes/model/xtc.2/5457/37988/

Edit: I like the idea though, but I would expect to pay about half of that for those components.

Edit again: I have used a Dart 2 (not 3 though) and I can honestly say that it is a terrible fork - not plush at all or stiff. If you could get that spec up to a Tora, those are great. Otherwise you can get a high(ish) and RST for about the same price as a Dart 3 and those are much better - even most new suntours are plusher and stiffer than the Dart I had.

tom8932010-05-21 03:23:39

Have to agree with tom893.

Mate of mine just bought a merida with full XT, tubeless wheelset and a Fox shock for around R15 000

I agree it is on the expensive side,especially if it is a new brand.I reckon you could sell them for around R8500 - R10000 as a GT Avalanche1 goes for around this price

A bike with better specs than that will retail for about R7500. For 15k you can get something with XT and a decent air fork.

Way to expensive. As the replies here say, we can get better quality frames/components for that price .

The other thing to condiser is that you would be offering HT. You mention that the target market is casual with no real experiance/knowledge. I would think that they would be swayed to getting a full suss then, since these are also easily available in the price range.

Selling a HT to a customer who has already heard of FS (at a price equal too or less than yours) is like trying to sell a CD instead of of a DVD...market advertising and other riders would already have influenced them to rather try full suss.

I got a 2009 AV 1, cost R6500. XT rear, Deore front, FSA crank, Shimano 475/525 hubs, WTB rims, Nevegal tyres, Shimano cassette, SRAM chain, Suntour shock, Tektro brakes, Deore shifters, Shimano pedals, WTB saddle. I think I saw the 2010 model going for around R7500. Mojoman2010-05-21 03:42:27

Props to all the guys who have responded. Usually posting on the hub gives you a load of malicious responses from a bunch of wankers. This project is now canned.

Props to all the guys who have responded. Usually posting on the hub gives you a load of malicious responses from a bunch of wankers. This project is now canned.

Who you calling wankers...you asked for advice and got it.

I just bought a Mongoose Canaan Dual suspension bike withXT on it for that price .So yes your price was high. 
gummibear2010-05-21 04:05:09

Guest coenie

You can get a better spec's full sus for 10 000 from CWC

Dont can the project, you say you are looking to make a bike for beginners... Now if you go stand in a bike shop for 10 minutes you will see someone come in, say that they are looking for a nice entry level first bike, and promptly be shown a R6000 bike. These are the sort of people that are looking to pay R5000 *max*.

At the moment Silverback has this market taped with the Oakland, R2350 and you get a comfy bike with shocks and lockout. There are 2 reasons this isn't the first bike the shop shows you...

1) They don't make as much money so they may as well show you the R6000 and try sell it.

2) It is honestly, poo

So

If you can make a decent bike for about R3500-R4000, that's where the money will go.

A cheap alu frame is important, but more important at this price is probably the paint job

Must be comfy, keep it as racey as possible without compromising any comfort AT ALL

Use a cheap, but real MTB groupset, you can easily go Acera/Alivio (or even no name on less important parts, maybe look at Microshift) all over - maybe a Deore RD for some bling (Deore is the cheapest "small" deraileur)

If possible use disk brakes, even if they are mechanical, they work much better and will really make the bike stand out at this price point.

I think this is possible, I remember Solomons running a special last year where they were selling Raleighs like this (Disks, Shimano) for about R4200.

I really do believe this is a fantastic idea, don't can it.

Edit: Silverback Saturn R4500 (hydraulic discs, Suntour shock), that is going to be quite hard to beat.

tom8932010-05-21 05:11:59