Why did nobody tell me...

Stoffel76

...how frikkin awesome mountain biking at night is????

Borrowed a set of lights and did my first night ride last night.  What a jol!

Had to give the lights back though. Cry  Now all I need to do is figure out how to fit a set into my rather tight budget...

Tight budget vs ALL THAT FUN!!!  It's a no brainer.  There is a magiclights thread doing the rounds, Give Brad a PM and you'll have your own lights for next Thursday. 

it is shieeeeet loads of fun isnt it. pity one cant do it by yourself & just go out & have some fun & enjoy your bike like a kid

that would be a no brainer & i dont think it just remains in sunny SA. I think riding at night on your lonesome anywhere on the globe is pretty much a no no & looking for trouble

group rides it is then & still has too much fun to be had. cant get enough of it

Unless you're as blind as a Bat (dumb expression!) like me. At the 24 Hours at Weisenhof - 1hr 15 minutes to do 7 km. Fun? Not.

Had to give the lights back though. Cry  Now all I need to do is figure out how to fit a set into my rather tight budget...
hahaha you just didn't read the posts on the hub, stoffel, lots of people are preaching how much fun it isBig%20smile

lights aren't the be-all and end-all ... you won't be first on the downhill rush with a cheaper setup (until you can afford the big lights) - but you'd be able to ride all the same.

I just did the Shenanigan this last weekend and spent 3 hrs bombing round the forests at night - fine fun.

Some guys had small camping head torches and some fancy super nova like bike lights that cost half the price of a decent bike.

I have a Fenix LD20 http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/led_torches/fenix-ld20-r4.html which you can get in SA for about R700. It chucks out 200 whatevers of light and is plenty bright enough for 50 kph of off road downhill. It runs on 2 AA rechargables which last 1.5 hrs on max brightness (72 hrs on min brighness which is good for slower uphill climbs), weighs next to nothing, and when you've finished biking you can use it as a normal torch.

I have a set of Brads Magiclights - Still havent used them.

Where did you ride?

Did my first night ride yesterday.

Went up the switchbacks (walked a lot of it), up to the mast. Down (got an ice cream headache from the cold) and then back up along level 5 and down to Boulders and all the usual singletrack down again.

Nightriding - because mountain biking isn't exciting enough, you must do it in the dark...

Hey Splat, I was at Tokai as well - but just up to level 5 and then down boulders etc...

I borrowed a Light & Motion Stella 300 Dual set which puts out 300 lumens? (wattever...)  Was plenty bright enough, but a light on the helmet would also help to illuminate round bends/switchbacks etc...

Dirty Twin and I do all our riding at night except for weekends, and yes good lights are a must. You can check out the lights we use on www.brighter-lights.com. What we use on our helmets is a small rechargeable light, fits into a cigarette lighter and is about the same size as an AA battery. Bought the rechargeables from Due South but I am sure you could get something similar elsewhere. Spud2010-05-27 06:58:48