Gear Restriction for Junior Riders

Trail Snail

My lightie is looking at U14 racing next year, and we need to restrict his gears.

What and why is this, and where can we get the correct cassette etc??

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It,s to set a equal playing field for the kids ( thats what they say on supercyclingBig%20smile).

When i was a kid everyone said it's so young talent wont overstrain themselves and get injured.

I'm not sure what the ratio is, but sometimes one can fit a comlete cluster on the back. For u/16 it was 16-25 with a 52chainring, and 14-23 with 52 for juniors.

Usualy the biggest ratio has to fit in a distance with one rep, officials mesure it pushing the bike backwards on a mesureing tape.

just find out what the lenth is supposed to be.

If you want to fit a full cluster, you'l have to fit a real small chainring on the front, a 16 small gear has chain-rub on the rearstay of some bikes.

I have looked on the Internet and overseas the age categories are U13; U15; U17; U19;  whereas in SA they seem to be U14; U16; U18.

This is also leading to some confusion!!

I dont know if they just check the gears these days, but the tyre size also has a effect on the rolling distance.

A clued up bikeshop wil know what you need and can build or order a cluster to meet the restictions.

17-52. You can build up clusters. I can help with sprockets from 14t - 26t. PM me. You will also need spacers (8 or 9 spd). You could probably also use a 10 spd 16-27 cluster and leave off the 16. You would need to set up your top/bottom set stops

i raced U 14 2 year back and it was 52 f and 16 b same like u16. my brother is ridin u12 and his is 52f and 18 b

so there u have it and the best place 2 look for that cassets are finishline cycles

Look at this link...

The gear ratio's are to help with development of the youth riders structure (bones and muscle and joints probably most important).

The standerd for u/14 is 52x17, but one can have other gears, as long as one role in to the corrct distance. 

I have looked on the Internet and overseas the age categories are U13; U15; U17; U19;  whereas in SA they seem to be U14; U16; U18.

This is also leading to some confusion!!

Sa U12=Overseas U13 etc.

He has a 53 F and would be restricted to 17b - would appear to be correct.

I will confirm at LBS.

Thanx Guys

Hey no bigger than 52 front chainring is allowed for U14 rider the rollout is 6.262metres.  So the closest you can get to this is 52 x 17 - Again speak to Clint at finishline cycles - for the most helpful guy around when it comes to schoolboys.

Now I'm getting confused again, the commisaire link referred to the roll out length of 6.626m, not 6.262m, which fell within the confines of the 53F.

Is the 53F deemed illegal for this age group - compeletely?

I just went through this whole experience this year and what a nightmare.

I have 2 kids racing League in Cape Town so had to learn the hard way.

U/12 - 52/18

U/14 - 52/17

U/16 - 52/16

I have posted some info and experience on our Website under the Development section...Junior cycling gear  2. Pro Classic League update. Check it out if you have some time.

A lot of the officials does not do the "Roll-in" so they convert back to 52-17. Save yourself the trouble and get the 52 Chainring.

53 Rings are only allowed to be used by first year under 23.  52 is the absolute max for youngsters.  The gear ratios above are absolutely correct.