creaky headtube/head set

pedal pusher

Hi Guys.

Dont know if anyone can help me on this one as a creak is giving me grey hairs.

I have just built up a niner emd & have done a handfull of rides on the bike.

The problem I have is when I get on the bike & pedal even on a flat surface a creak comes from the head set/head tube area.It comes & goes.

I have changed the starfish washer,ghrease all the parts in the headset & made sure that the head set is seated properly.The headset is a Pro 1/18 sealed bearing.I have tigtened the stem cap with a torque wrench but still there is a creak.My next thought is that the frame may be flexing?

Any suggestions on this will be appreciated.

Thanks guys

I have had the same.  Eventually found out that that the seating of the head tube and lower cup was not good.  Some mechanic had actually burred the surface of the cup with a punch to "fit" it.  Obviously did not last.

I did a temporary repair with plumbing ptfe tape and it has lasted for over 6 months but Prof. JB suggested that I use a sliver of aluminum from an imported beer can as a more permanent solution.  Maybe your problem has a similar cause?

I have also noticed a creaking in that area. Set about finding the source today and it turned out to be where the stem connects to the steerer tube. Dunno what to do about it though, sounds like the stem is fatigued - not sure what to do about it because it is quite a lightweight road/xc stem that I use for some pretty hardcore xc.

happened to me once. My front wheel quick release was not tight enough. It also sounded like it came from the headset

Finally got to th bottom of the creak.I must say I was surprised at what I found.

The grease which I had used on the seatpost was no the correct one for the frame & this resulted in a creak which was transfered down the top tube & came out of the head tube.

All that was done was the deat post was de greased & then greased with another type of grease & presto - it was gone!

Finally got to th bottom of the creak.I must say I was surprised at what I found.

The grease which I had used on the seatpost was no the correct one for the frame & this resulted in a creak which was transfered down the top tube & came out of the head tube.

All that was done was the deat post was de greased & then greased with another type of grease & presto - it was gone!

Why on earth do you have grease on your seatpost?  Seatposts, steerer tubes, the outside of bearings, crank axles and hub axles need no grease. It just causes all sorts of problems.