Look Keo Sprint axle removal

Minion

I want to open up a set of Look Keo Sprint pedals and remove the axles. I remember reading somewhere that you need a special tool to do this and a look at the pedals seems to confirm this.

Does anyone know where I can get this tool (the LBSes I've asked just give me funny looks) or what I can use as a suitable substitute?

You need the tool. There's a few shops that will be able to open it up for you. Whereabouts do you live?

What about the Shimano tool?

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/images/products/5968shimanospdpedal_l.jpgMampara2010-05-25 05:50:23

It doesn't look like the Shimano tool will work. The tool looks similar but the teeth are a bit different. Try Tony Impey or Westdene...I'm sure they'll be able to open it up for you.

I made one of these tools myself out of 3mm tufnel plate(easy to machine and drill) Bit of a mission but if you have the tools it works 100%. Think I drilled an 18mm hole in the tufnel piece, then filed out the square splined teeth. From what I remember the pedals have a right and left hand thread there as well.

I don't really want to take this to the LBS to get the job done, so if I can't get the tool, I guess I'll just have to make one (might do laser cut steel, rather than tufnol, though).

• 1 month later...

MR Look, why is this tool not available to the public?

I managed to get some in. R30 a pop. PM if you guys want some.