Critical Mass Cape Town this Friday

LeTurbo

I rode with last month and enjoyed the ride ... will be out of Town on Friday though so will have to miss ... take pics and post them on the HUB

city fathers happy with the kids on two wheels en masse? and this is just general advice given to me by a detective cop: dont get arrested over the weekend in cape town, especially if it's a long weekend.?

Why?, because the expectation is the jails overcrowd due to no magistrate being available for bail applications, so they send you to that special place where your butt gets massaged. For free.

yep. good old pollsmoor.

Here you go Grondpad......

critical mass

n.

1. The smallest mass of a fissionable material that will sustain a nuclear chain reaction at a constant level.

2. The amount of matter needed to generate sufficient gravitational force to halt the current expansion of the universe.

3. An amount or level needed for a specific result or new action to occur

city fathers happy with the kids on two wheels en masse? and this is just general advice given to me by a detective cop: dont get arrested over the weekend in cape town' date=' especially if it's a long weekend. 

Why?, because the expectation is the jails overcrowd due to no magistrate being available for bail applications, so they send you to that special place where your butt gets massaged. For free.

yep. good old pollsmoor.

[/quote']

Cyclists get arrested for being on the road? I think not. Nor am I particularly concerned about the city fathers (even though I'm old enough to be one) because they're not overly concerned about me. Nevertheless, this is not a "Kick over the new toilets" demonstration. It is a way of claiming - or reclaiming - our status on the roads. The Ride of Silence is another route. Political lobbying yet another. Or, if you do them all, you make your voice heard that little louder.

How big is the group in CT and are there rides in JHB or PTA as well? How did I not know about this! Its awsome!

It's been going for a long time. Longer than I been a hub member.

Happens the last Friday of every month IMS.

I see it still hasn't caught on in JHB or Alberton. Since I commute to work every day anyway and leave home at 6am, seems to be little support for this initiative up here on the highveld.

Pity really.

Grondpad, i also didnt know about it and was taking the p1ss,

that is totally awesome. I will be there in spirit , as my physical body will be in my phlegm colored cubicle in Bellville - but i will cycle there.

Jip, I am a bit unconscious these days. I missed the ride of silence as well ( I don?t even know if it was held in JHB or PTA)!

I know about a group that cycle?s in JHB CBD some evenings. Riding the stairs, pavements and whatever. Its not a group focused on jump bikes etc. Maybe they should get involved in this. They would probably know great routes, best times etc..

Anyone know who they are?

To be honest, it's something newish to me too, though it's been going for yonks here in Cape Town. The "mass" is still missing a bit though...

For PTA and JNB, I don't know. Why not start something going? Fixies, roadbikes, MTBs, dikwiels, whatever ....