MTB Races getting too Technical?

Aggies

Are MTB races being made too Technical?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Are MTB races being made too Technical?

• YES
    • NO

No they are not too technical, and when they become a bit hair raising in places even the pro's can be seen pushing or carying for a bit and then get back on and going like hell.Wink

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not asking for anything to be made easier as I have aspirations to be a good techinical rider as I'm not built to be fast ( unless its downhill)Big%20smile.

What I need just some idea of what I'm in for when I enter an event. If a grading system is too much to ask for maybe a simple comparison such as, if you can ride every part of Groenkloof you will be able to ride everything in this event or there are two or three sections that are more technical.

It is true that some events give a description of what to expect but until I do the race I have no frame of reference as to what do they mean when they say challenging!

As for Shakes .... are you actually trying to contribute?

I have recently changed from doing half marathons to doing full marathon at races and there is a big difference with regards to level of technical riding - if you are a social rider who doesnt enjoy technical riding stick to the half marathons - if you enjoy challenging yourself and love technical riding push yourself and do the full marathons. I personally love the marathons and find the level of technical riding perfect for my level of riding - its challenging and exciting!

I did Joberg2c this year and found after doing the very technical 3 days of the berg2bush route the first day of sani2c was disapointing as the paths were swept clean of any rocks or branches - (still loved the sani2c section dont get me wrong) - technical riding is a part of mtb riding - it adds to the adrenaline we all enjoy with this sport!

The only way to get any better at the sport is to keep pushing and challenging yourself - dont get off and walk all the technical stuff - try it - you might just surprise yourself!

This is mountainbiking...Its you and your bike vs MOTHER NATURE!!

and she is not always fair, so man up.

Anyway, whats not to love about technical stuff? Its a awesome rush.

In road cycling (which I know little about) its about endurance and tactics, in MTB its about endurance and skill. Technical skills is and integral part of mountainbiking and by removing it from races is like making a rugby ball round, it takes away one whole aspect of the sport!!

Getting to the finish line after a hair raising down hill is very satisfying..

My 2c

I'm not asking for anything to be made easier as I have aspirations to be a good techinical rider as I'm not built to be fast ( unless its downhill)Big%20smile.

What I need just some idea of what I'm in for when I enter an event. If a grading system is too much to ask for maybe a simple comparison such as' date=' if you can ride every part of Groenkloof you will be able to ride everything in this event or there are two or three sections that are more technical.

It is true that some events give a description of what to expect but until I do the race I have no frame of reference as to what do they mean when they say challenging!

[/quote']

how long have you been riding?

For some people just staying upright is problem. Now you throw gears in, clipless pedals, body position and correct lines and it just gets too much. People need to practice more and not be afraid to do so. But they rather stick to dirt roads because it is "safe".

Technical skills is and integral part of mountainbiking and by removing it from races is like making a rugby ball round' date=' it takes away one whole aspect of the sport!!

Getting to the finish line after a hair raising down hill is very satisfying..

My 2c
[/quote']

well said there Clap

What I need just some idea of what I'm in for when I enter an event. If a grading system is too much to ask for maybe a simple comparison such as' date=' if you can ride every part of Groenkloof you will be able to ride everything in this event or there are two or three sections that are more technical.

[/quote']

my experience is that if you can ride Groenkloof you can ride most if not all races.  Furthermore, I have seen that pros WILL climb off on short over-technical sections and portage their bikes, largely because it is FASTER to do so and there is less risk of falling and injuring themselves.  (Lessons to be learnt here?)  It is a race and not a dance competition, after all. 

I'm not asking for anything to be made easier as I have aspirations to be a good technical rider as I'm not built to be fast ( unless its downhill)Big%20smile.

[/quote']

This is a good point as skill levels do differ. Mostly the shorter events (not the main events) are less technical to cater for those with lesser skills, but I agree, it would be great to have a rating scale. Just how to implement it is difficult as need to consider distance, ascent and grade, technical bits: drop-offs, rocks bridges etc etc. Somebody with time to spare to work out a system would be great.

What is technical ? Some of us would say jumping the Grand canyon is technical while other would argue that hopping a pavement falls in the same category . There is No shame in walking something that you feel is too technical . If you find yourself walking the complete route then you have entered the wrong race . I think it is also save to say that people that complain about stuff like that does not do a lot of training either . It is very difficult to get over an obstacle when you battle to move your bike forward , resulting in a section been technical .

[/quote']

To be better at technical rides; you need to work on your build too; and your speed will come naturally. and whatever you do; do not buy a Power Balance armband!

Canaris listed a bunch of spots for an analogy of technical trails.... but sacrilige has occured, he left out Teak Place and van Gaalen, both meccas in their own right. Especially van Gaalen!

Shame on you Canaris, a month of commuting by tricycle!!

Canaris listed a bunch of spots for an analogy of technical trails.... but sacrilige has occured' date=' he left out Teak Place and van Gaalen, both meccas in their own right. Especially van Gaalen!

Shame on you Canaris, a month of commuting by tricycle!!
[/quote']

Dont forget that Logwood is also re-openning this weekend. I heard that they also have a couple of challenging sections.

[/quote']

To be better at technical rides; you need to work on your build too; and your speed will come naturally. and whatever you do; do not buy a Power Balance armband!

The build is what it is thats why I took up MTBikingBig%20smile. As for the armband anything that has power and balance in the same sentence is surely a must!River Rat2010-05-26 04:26:07

Guest Agteros
I think most races are not technical enough.

If you don't want technical' date=' go get a road bike!

end of!!
[/quote']

Actually NOT! Road race organisers have recently upped the ante for road races (especially where the routes are flat-ish) and introduced some special technical sections potholes courtesy of the gauvamint) and now the roadies complain about that.

Seems like one of these days the MTB routes will be flat (and tarred?) and the road routes will be on gravel and riddled with spots of tar!

Yeah... I weighed about the same about a year ago; down to 83kg now; lots riding done since then...

You will see the more you do the better; and for me the less I know off a course the better... good luck