Cannondale Scalpel - Yes/No

Renrew

Hi Guys

I'm interested in getting a pretty high spec Cross Country Dual Suspension bike. I've been riding all sorts of bicycles and Dirt Bikes since a kid so I know most of the In's and Out's. But need some brand/price advice nevertheless:

First of all I WANT to buy second hand. I want to upgrade every year without suffering to much of a loss when doing so. Obviously NEW is not an option when doing that. And most of all, one can get much higher spec and all round a better bike when buying second hand within a certain budget (Dependant on the condition of the bike).

I have my heart set on a Cannondale Scalpel or Rush with a Lefty fork, Dual Suspension and Large frame.

There is one standing at the local Bike shop for R12500 and it's a 2005 Model. Very good condition, components are all aesthetically and mechanically in good condition, as is the frame and suspension. The bike is going for 12500 and I offered the guy R11 000 if he puts a new Rear Tyre, BRake Pads and gets the rear plastic part of the Carbon Trtiangle replaced (People have told me that on the Scapel Dual's the Plastic Down Tubes of the rear triangle needs to be replaced every 2.5 Years???).Would it be a good buy?And if YEs/NO, please explain why.

Any and all advice is WELCOME. As I've said I really want a Cannondale Dual with Lefty, and would like to go for a newer model, but their so scarce! My Budget is between R10k - R16k.

I have in the mean time posted a wanted add but nothing has come up yet (I doubt anyone looks at the wanted adds).

I am based in Stellenbsoch (Cross Country Heaven)!

THANKS ALL!

smiley20.gif

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Only the Chain stay part of the rear triangle - The down tube of the rear triangle is a kind of plastic.

Only the Chain stay part of the rear triangle - The down tube of the rear triangle is a kind of plastic.

If you are correct then I've learnt something new today....

Thanks man..... smiley36.gif smiley36.gif smiley36.gif smiley36.gif

Plastic on a Scalpel?

it's called a seat stay.

it's called a seat stay.

I am still trying to work out how they are going to replace those plastic stays for him though.

Yes that's right - Just tried to give a clear explanation.

It is in a U-Shape with the closed part attached to the Rear Shock and the open ends attached to the chainstay's.

I am 95% certain it is a Plastic Compound.

But that is not the MAIN concern for me at this stage however, I do want to know if this is true, and do they give problems and also my dilemma with buying a Scalpel etc.

I built up a Scalpel Team on the Hub.

I've been riding it for the last 5 months after riding a Stevens F9 Team

for 2 years.

I could never go back!

It's a real dream machineThumbs%20Up

20100526_060605_DSC04555.JPG

What size bike are you looking for?

Do a search for Omnico sale here on the HUb.you can get new bikes from them at better than used pricesWink

I built up a Scalpel Team on the Hub.

I've been riding it for the last 5 months after riding a Stevens F9 Team

for 2 years.

I could never go back!

It's a real dream machineThumbs%20Up

20100526_060605_DSC04555.JPG

That's exactly my dilemma - I HAVE TO HAVE A SCALPEL! smiley32.gif

Nice Bike - I Just need to find someone that want's to sell his!

Don't want to have to go for something else.

What size bike are you looking for?

?

Do a search for Omnico sale here on the HUb.you can get new bikes from them at better than used pricesWink

I'm looking for a Large. I'll do that thank's.

I presume that a 2009 and 2010 Model (Even Though they would be second hand and much cheaper than NEW) It would still be a bit over my budget. A '07 or '08 would be just right!

You will not regret the getting the Scalpel - by the way the Lefty is awesome to ride plus you can freak out your riding buddies with the way it looks.

If you've got your heart set on a Scalpel, you're gonna have to beef-up

your budget.

Or you run the risk of being disapointed with the result.

I started my build looking for Mavic SLR rims, and ended up with

my scalpel.........40K later.