Zipp Disk

The Saint

Was in my LBS 2 days ago and they had a Zipp Disk wheel hanging there for 12K.

I got into looking at exactly how the thing is made and was surprised to see that inbetween the 2 re-inforced "cardboard" disks is some very hard sponge.

Taking into account what this wheel is made of I would not expect the manufacturing cost of this wheel to be more than  R1500 and with the right tools you could probably make this thing at home yourself.

Any thoughts on this?

Hiya Mux

Thanks for cheering me up - homemade cardboard and sponge wheels.

Call me when when they're done I'll pay money to see it.

I need to pass my engineering degree first, but seriously go look at one of these things there really seems to be nothing special about it.

You have no idea! I been working on making disc wheels for 8 months now for the biggest cycle component manufacture in the world - production just starting, but the RnD cost have run into large amounts of money.

Thus like in most things the raw materials / manufaturing costs may may only be a 5th of the retail costs. Always remember their is normally a long chain, which have added value costs in most items, from the menufacturer to the LSB.

I got into looking at exactly how the thing is made and was surprised to see that inbetween the 2 re-inforced "cardboard" disks is some very hard sponge.

Any thoughts on this?

Look Mux don't let ICycling talk you out of this with all the technical talk - the cardboard we can do & if you can get hold of the leftovers from Slowpoke's chocolate cake on Saturday, you've got yourself some very hard sponge.

Voila, it's a piece of cake.

smiley4.gif

p.s. I've got plenty of string for reinforcement if needed

Any thoughts on this?

Look Mux don't let ICycling talk you out of this with all the technical talk - the cardboard we can do & if you can get hold of the leftovers from Slowpoke's chocolate cake on Saturday' date=' you've got yourself some very hard sponge.

Voila, it's a piece of cake.

smiley4.gif

p.s. I've got plenty of string for reinforcement if needed

LMAO, and I think Icicle is just trying to justify ripping us off for pieces of dimpled cardboard with technology stolen from a golf ball in any case.

Going to drink lotsa beer this weekend and use the case boxes for some startup material. As for the sponge I am going to go with a softer version by removing the stuffing from some of my daughters teddy bears.

[/quote']

I see Zipp are calling their Cardboard outter layer "ABLC" (as far as I am concerned this translates to "A Bloody Lot of Cardboard")  and the inner sponge is claimed to be "Unidirectional carbon fiber over hollow kevlar honeycomb core material" or as I have stated once again in my opinion Hardened sponge.

Hey Mux ....I took your advice and have hauled out all my unused Metrofile boxes, glue gun etc. switched on the espresso machine and worked through the night!! I applied the principles used by Titleist with their dimple technology and voila!! I have a brand spanking new set of of disk wheels which have just been sprayed in a fine shade of mauve!! I intend to test them on the Lido route tomorrow so please come out and support!! I'm also looking for a marketing name and was thinking of calling them "Zapps"!!!! Comments???

Well as an update to this Delgado and I have got together and produced an awesome disk wheel, the wheel will retail at the Zimbabwean price of 150 bucks with a 50% discount as per government recommendations, so 75 Bucks gets you a spanking new disk wheel.

Some specs.

Made from featherlight reflective material allowing you to be seen from at least 150km's away in the darkest of darkest nights, something our competitors have never thought of.

Wind slots - allowing you to never get pushed across the road in a cross wind.

More specs will follow soon with a picture of this extraordinary innovation.

Give David Millar aring. Think he needs a new disc which doesnt fall apart when the pressure is on    lol 

Oh, I thought David Millar WAS riding on Muxman's sponge cake wheel !!!

Certainly looked like it when it fell to pieces. Cry

Our marketing strategy has always been cheap and affordable to the people for the people never has reliability come into the equation.

The fact that Milars Zapp 909 collapsed is no fault of my homemade manufacturing plant. I always encourage my riders to place far more weight on the front wheel by sitting forward on the saddle in order to alleviate just this design flaw.

If Millar cannot take the advice of the manufacturer then that is not my problem he must face the consequences.

As jy nie wil luister nie dan moet jy voel.

The Zapp 909 disk wheel picture will be posted tomorrow. As an added Zapp secured a top 10 finish in todays stage with Millar, finally he listened.