CRC import duties

Big J

I know there is a lot of threads on this subject, but could not find info what I am looking for.

What is the import duties on Indoor Trainer (tacx) and accessories?

How long does it take to deliver to CT and do they deliver to door?

Thanks in advance for all the advice

Hey there, this might not answer your question but as a 1st time buyer from CRC I had a huge wakeup call. I did my 1st purchase from them a week ago through my Discovery (as in medical aid) credit card. The moment I hit the online pay button I received my customary SMS confirming the transaction. Lo and behold it was SEVEN PERCENT MORE  than the figure on my screen.

My subsequent ravings fell on deaf ears. They claim to be taking 2,75% due to it being an international transaction.

I contacted CRC telephonically and they confirmed they only took the British Pound value entitled by them.

Im still attempting to get back the balance.

OK so here is the warning, be careful what method you use to pay CRC as you might end up paying a lot more. I have been told that an alternative method is Paypal, not that I know how that works.

I have been told that upon arrival I can expect to pay 14% VAT so at least I'm prepared for that one. Heres hoping all arrives with no damage by some SA courier.

Good luck with your purchase.

Customs duty is levied on imported goods and is usually calculated as a percentage on the value of the goods (set in the schedules to the Customs and Excise Act).

However meat, fish, tea and certain textile products attract rates of duty calculated either as a percentage of the value or as cents per unit (for example, per kilogram or metre).

Usually the effective VAT paid works out at around 15.4% (They calculate VAT as (Value of Product + 10%) x 14%).

However as mentioned there are specific import duties on speific products. It is difficult to say how SARS will classify the trainer and if additional import duties will be required.  I know I paid nearly 40% of value of cylcying shirt I purchased off the CRC.

As far as door to door my package was delivered to my address, but as I was not home and had to pay import duties they then took it to closest post office rather than leaving it with the guard.

Delivery times are displayed on website but mine was a day late, so expect to add 1 or 2 days on. Also check that the delivery time on the website is the international one and not the UK one.

I know this did not really answer question specifically, but hopefully sheds some light on the process.

• 2 weeks later...

So I ordered my indoor trainer, carpet, sweat cover and some tyres for R4 275 and pay thru paypal account.

Smile 

However today I received letter from post office to come and fetch my stuff and I should bring R1 966,69 with!!!! Shocked

46% import duties!!!! Please tell me something is wrong and I can do something about it. I was budgeting on paying an extra 14% VAT on these purchases, but mot an extra 46%!!!Cry

Dude, thats heavy. Any black wheel set suddenly for sale for R1966,69?

They probably sent it insured.lytninwhip2010-06-08 13:25:11

Sho Big J are you sure about that amount ?

Damn I also want to buy an IDT from them but at that amount of duties, no way ! Will be interesting to see the actual invoice from SAPO...

Ive bought a garmin from crc where 10% was added, other stuff just vat. 

Can't see why this costs so much ?

So I ordered my indoor trainer' date=' carpet, sweat cover and some tyres for R4 275 and pay thru paypal account.

Smile 

However today I received letter from post office to come and fetch my stuff and I should bring R1 966,69 with!!!! Shocked

46% import duties!!!! Please tell me something is wrong and I can do something about it. I was budgeting on paying an extra 14% VAT on these purchases, but mot an extra 46%!!!Cry
[/quote']

So everything worked out nicely. They thought it was running shoes (trainers) and therefor charged 40%. However after informing them of exactly what it was, they changed it to the 15,4% + R25 clearance fee totalling R674-88.

All in all I know have a Tacx flow IDT, training carpet, sweat cover and 2 training tyres for under R5 000. The exercise was def worth itTongue and safe me a lot of cash.