Continental Mountain King

gummibear

What is the difference between the UST and Protection models?

I have the normal ones but have a few cuts on the sidewalls but no leaks yet but i want to replace them with a set of the above tyres.

I am running mine tubelessat the moment.

the protection are hard to make stick as tubeless if you dont have ZTR rims. But they are very light

AFIK UST has a stronger tubeless bead so sits tighter on the rim and a mission to get off again, tend to break plastic levers, eish !

The UST also has a thicker ''rubber' sidewall so its airtight, while the protection only has extra protection in the form of a kevlar material type belt on the sidewall.

They are very close weight wise though. My 2.2 UST weighed 650g, the weights I heard of the protection is like over 600g, ask mamparra he has a set.

With the difficulty in seating I would go for protection, would be a bit more flexible to conform to the trail as well (could still lose some air over time ?), found the UST very stiff/hard.  But if you've burped tyres UST might be better for you. 

Lets see what the other say...

Oh and how do you find these in mud ?

hi gummibear

sorry for the hijack,but i just want to find out what these tires are like, at the moment i have a set of mixxis larsens and am going to need new tires pretty soon. how well do these work as race tires, i found the larsens weren't so good on the rockey sections but were really good on the hard pack. so how do you find these on hard ground roads ect and on rocky loose sections.

thanks Brad

I have had no problems except in the beggining when i was running them to hard but since then they handle better in the corners and on lose stones and mud on hills.I ride mostly on hard clay and mud after rains.

I am very happy with them and that why i want to stay with them but just get something a little better for the sidewalls.

ok cool thanks for the help really appreaciate it, think i'm going to get a pair then

Some of the guys mix it with the race kings but i am happy riding Mountain kings front and back.

ha ha ha lol  looks pretty pimp, but i'm a student so will probably go with the standard ones lol