Campagnolo Cranksets??

Christoph

Hi guys.

I would like to order a campagnolo Record 10spd crankset from crc but I'm not sure what I need to buy. I've already got the Chainset, BB-cups and bearings on my list... Is that all I need to buy or are there extras needed?

The BB-cups don't have that internal axel tube which makes me wonder if I'm buying the right stuff.

Thanks

Christoph

The axle is attached to the cranks, half on each side. I think everything you need is supplied in the box.

You dont need to buy the bearings, they are already attached to the crank's axle. All you need is the chainset and BB cups.

Velo

Are you sure? It doesn't state anywhere at the crankset that the bearings are included

I'm 100% sure. In fact, the bearings are not easy to install without the right tools.

You also need to make sure the BB cups you buy are the right thread. What frame will these be going on?

Velo's right. Bearings come attached to the cranks and BB cups must be purchased separately.

Okay well thanks a lot guys!

The funny thing is that I e-mailed CRC to ask them about the bearing story and the guy responded that I need to buy the crankset, BB-cups and then even more expensive bearings. (the campagnolo Rec/chorus 11x bearings)

Velo. I'm going for a BMC so its English thread. Have you bought a crank from CRC before that you know that the bearings come with it.??

Thanks for the help!

I haven't bought a crank from CRC, but I have bought one from Total Cycling who are just down the road from CRC and it came with bearings already attached. Take a gamble, if the crank doesn't actually have bearings, it shouldn't cost too much to buy generics locally.

If you're looking at Campag parts (especially older, 10sp stuff) have a look at Total Cycling. They're usually quite a bit cheaper than CRC e.g. their 10sp Record crank is ~R3000 vs. CRC's R3600. Their shipping times and methods are the same as CRC, as are their service levels.

Answering your question depends on if you are buying the Ultra-Torque (UT) cranks/chainset or the older style cranks. If UT, then you just need the BB cups and the cranks as the bearing are already pressed onto the half-shaft/axle that is part of the crank arm.

Okay thanks Edman and E1A104

I'm thinking of getting the Ultra torque cranks so looks like I'm just going to need the BB-cups

Thanks a lot once again

Edman, I've heard that Total cycling's prices are vat excluded. Is it true?

A friend of mine said that he bought a campy groupset from them and when they went to the checkout the price suddenly jumped by 1-2k?!?

Edman' date=' I've heard that Total cycling's prices are vat excluded. Is it true?

A friend of mine said that he bought a campy groupset from them and when they went to the checkout the price suddenly jumped by 1-2k?!?

[/quote']

Bought from them a few times and never had that problem.

Total have good prices but their service is not as good as CRC. If they have stock then things go smoothly, but if not then its a mission because their communication sucks.

I see CRC are out of stock on their English BB cups. I just bought some from Chris Willemse though for R199. Maybe you should just buy the crank from CRC and get the cups here. The CRC price for the Record crank is the cheapest i've yet seen.

Edman' date=' I've heard that Total cycling's prices are vat excluded. Is it true?

[/quote']

Like CRC, unless they're shipping to an address in the UK (maybe also EU?), their price will be excl. UK VAT (but remember you'll have to pay SA VAT when it gets here). What I have found is that their site will include or exclude VAT from the various prices listed, depending on what currency you select. Their final invoice and checkout does include the right amounts.