Polar CS500

Nimby

Has anyone bought/tried one yet and, if so, how has the experience been? Looking to upgrade my CS200.

Thanks

Never heard of the CS500 - I had the CS200 and upgraded to the CS400. Great upgrade as you can down load all your data with ease including cadence, altitude with easy reference to past rides. If you want Power readings you will need to buy the CS600. Well worth the extra bucks if you require an entry level power meter. What I like about Polar is it battery life is very good - you dont have to charge your HR monitor every time you go out for a ride. I also use mine on a mountain bike and have had no problems with the holder. 

• 2 months later...

It is only available at the end of September.. And it is going to cost you.. I ordered one over the pond because it was on special and paid a lot less than it is going to cost here.. And what a computer.. Im very impressed. I was going to buy the Garmin edge 500, but when i tested it there were times that i could not see what te reading was when the sun shines on it. (see its a problem other peeps have). The GPS is nice but i ride with my Iphone with a app that maps my ride. The fact that you can get vitality points with polar and not garmin sealed the deal..

Can you please send me the link for the app for the IPhone. I am also in a dilemma as to the purchase of a Garmin 500/705 but I am also very worried about the unit staying on the MTB. At Cullinan I rode passed 2 cyclists who had lost their Garmins as the terrain was extremely rough. So I am thinking, use my IPhone and upgrade my Polar

The Edge 500 won't fall off the bike like the 705.

The 705's bracket had issues. Been sorted out. The 500 has a whole different design.

As for the CS500......from what I understand, you cannot download to a "local pc", i.e. the data only downloads to a web based server.

Thus storing my data is dependant on Internet connectivity.

How you are going to download data to discovery is a mystery to me.

That was one of my main concerns with the CS500

Good luck with it though. Looks like a stunning piece of equipment.....but I remain a happy Edge 500 user!

Can you please send me the link for the app for the IPhone. I am also in a dilemma as to the purchase of a Garmin 500/705 but I am also very worried about the unit staying on the MTB. At Cullinan I rode passed 2 cyclists who had lost their Garmins as the terrain was extremely rough. So I am thinking, use my IPhone and upgrade my Polar

The Iphone App is Cyclemeter. Cost you +- R25.. Works good if want cool info after your ride.. Works with the GPS and use google maps to plot your ride. Look at the Polar CS 500. The basic one is ons sale at CRC.

The Edge 500 won't fall off the bike like the 705.

The 705's bracket had issues. Been sorted out. The 500 has a whole different design.

As for the CS500......from what I understand, you cannot download to a "local pc", i.e. the data only downloads to a web based server.

Thus storing my data is dependant on Internet connectivity.

How you are going to download data to discovery is a mystery to me.

That was one of my main concerns with the CS500

Good luck with it though. Looks like a stunning piece of equipment.....but I remain a happy Edge 500 user!

Everything works just as with all the other polars. And i'm on a mac..

Look here http://www.polar.fi/za/about_polar/partnerships/discovery_vitality