Midweek rides - Table Mountain/Deer Park

Polo

Hi there

Are there any hubbers doing group rides in Deer Park/Table Mountain after work on week nights. 
I have seen guys up there riding with lights after dark - not too keen riding alone though.

I've been entered into the Transbaviaans and need as much time on the bike as possible - and get some experience in night riding very quickly!

Hey Polo, I work in the city, and would also like to do some night rides there. If we can line up a few other riders this might be a very good idea.

Howzit Muddy P, I ordered my light from Dealextreme yesterday, so hopefully I'll have it by the end of next week.  It would be great if we could arrange a weekly ride, say 6:30 on Wednesday nights, departing from the parking lot at the top of Kloofnek?

Hopefully there's a couple of other hubbers who wants to join us, so that we at least have a couple of people every week...

What sort of price are lights suitable for riding like that? Very keen, but no lights yet unfortunately (and the budget is a bit tight this month!). What sort of distance and time are you looking at doing - to rhodes mem and back???

Hey guys, I was up at the blockhouse after work today, ah good old tablemountain.

I would also like to come join in once in a while. I train on my roadbike In the mornings mostly but would dig to come join for social rides. I know every single trail on this mount of ours by now, but since im not riding there much anymore It will be fun, the darkness makes It all the more fun anyway.. there are so many 1:30 rides to be done up there.

I was very keen to start a thursday groupride at one stage, but to do it like a timetrial, work out a fun 40-60 minute loop and then meet for a beer at Rafikis after, something along those lines. anyway.. can chat about that later. For now, Theres Knysna 85km, Stellenbosh challenge and trans baviaans comming up, so might even do some longer rides every now and then

I got some of the "1400"lumen magicshines from Geoman.com , they were about R1200, just a bit more adjustable and the dimmer option saves major battery. However the standard "700" lumen Magicshines are still awsome for the price, we used to chase each other around knysna forrest as highschool kids with 130lumen Halide lights.

Sorry for the long post

So for now, someone just post here, when they ride and where from then we all get the notification.

Sounds like a plan... Will order a light tomorrow probably and can take it from there. Pity u guys r that side, I'm comin from claremont, but shouldn't be much traffic at that time.

I know this probably isn't the right place for this (but it is related at least!), but how does the Magicshine compare to a Blackburn System X4? Can get them for a similar price and it's a brand I know better so thought it might be a good option...

I had a look at the Blackburn's, but they're only 85 lumens, compared to 900 (quoted) of Magicshine.  I've done some research and there's really nothing else that comes close at the price.  City Cycles in Canal Walk sells them for R1550.

Which model is that Polo? I presume the MJ808_900 lumens.

I quite like the MJ816...2 smaller lights on the side. Wonder what those goes for?

Looked at a few reviews online and doesn't look like they're really suitable for use as a 'headlight', seem to be more to keep you visible with a small bit of additional light. The X8 looks like it might be a better option, but it also doesn't seem to be as bright as the Magicshine.

Hoping someone who has used them will read this and can give some feedback. I'm just concerned with how long the Magicshine will last as it is still a lot of money to blow on a light and haven't seen too much info on their durability... Not saying they won't last, just feels safer going with the name brand (ah, the love of marketing!)

lets do a ride sometime after work and you can check out my magicshines. Personally Im quite surprised at the built quality, and they dont actually get so hot (cant vouch for summer but Ive ridden on some of our nice evenings lately and really, Its hardly getting warm actually. But yes, Im also  in the dark, I was going to give mine a decent overall to make sure everything's coshure, but Ive not really had time, and like I said, the built quality is good so Im not suspect at all.

Good Lamp! Was thinking the same...will join you guys next week sometime and checkout your lights.