Helicoil

DownhillingKing

Does anyone know if there is a place that does helicoil in Cape Town? Unfortunately my LBS have stripped the threads on the bolt that mounts the rear shock onto the rear triangle. Cry

Usually any place that does cylinder heads will do it, people are always over tightening their spark plugs and striping the threads smiley20.gif

I really need to post pics up of what needs to be done. I'm worried that if I do have the frame helicoiled that it will make it weaker. 

Lots of people will do cyclinder head helicoils. However, those same places cannot do what DHK wants done. They won't have the tooling required. The threads and diameter on on the bike are different from spark plug threads.

The tap costs about R800-00, the insert tool about R1200 and the helicoil itself R8-00.

Although the tools will be available, finding a shop that will invest in the tooling wont be easy. Why should anyone invest so heavily in a job they'll do once only and lose money on?

Nevertheless, show us the picture and measure the threads and perhaps someone has a solution or knows someone.

Johan Bornman2010-05-31 14:21:35

Almost all the linkage holes on my frame stripped. My solution was to use longer allen bolts and nuts on the other side smiley2.gif

Can't you do the same? Use a longer bolt and a nut.

what size helicoil do you need?

also is there enough meat(thickness) for the insert?

the standard depth of a 8 mm helicoil is 8mm

The company that imports Hellicoils is called H.P.I Inserts (011)618-3467.

give them a call and they can put you onto someone in your area.

you also get a solid "hellicoil" called a vasbyt insert, but that is self tapping.

hope you come right

There is a place in Connaught RD Parow industria. I know that guy will be able to help you. There name is Moose engineering!(the owner is bit Agro and full of himself)Tel:+27 21 9333458

The other place is out in Stellies and they are called Proto Engineering. These guys will definitely be able to help you as they do just about any type of engineering/welding and threading that you can think of.

Tel: (021)8873115

I would rather have it done @ proto had some work done there before and the guys there are just the best.

Cheers and goodluck

Hi

Try Tim from TBR engineering.  He is also a  cyclist.  He is located in Melkbosstrand.  I have seen him doing similiar job on a bike.  He will have all the tools.  He stay close to me and has done some work for me, very good

E-mail  tbreng@telkomsa.net.    I have his cell nr at home

Sounds like your LBS does not know how tight is too tight, or does not use torque wrenches...