Soler rumour - Corti speaks!

Irishj9

L'equipe July 29th

Doping by Media

For 24 hours the name of columbian Mauricio Soler was discussed in a new ( and false) doping story, carried by elementsof the Danish, German and Belgian press.

Claudio Corti, manager of Barloworld explains: "Some of the press have not played their part correctly these last days. Everyone tried to win the race for the news scoop, without any checking, resulting in false information being released about my rider. How can you imagine that if I had a positive test, I would be able to keep it secret?. Its absurd. And we should have been contacted immediiately, and before the mud slinging commenced.

Soler's case is symptomatic of the sick spirit prevelent in cycling these days. People see dopers everywhere.

Everything started Friday about 5.30pm after the stage to Angouleme, where we were told that the police were waiting for us at our hotel.  When we arrived, there was nobody there, but in the press room, some people had already recieved the false information.

At 8pm we heard that Soler had been declared positive, but, there again, we had no information.  Everything was totally blurred.

Our rider was there, sitting opposite us at the dinner table, and we preferred not to tell him ion order to spare him the stress. During the night, I recieved many calls from Columbia without being able to explain to them what was going on.

It was me who contacted the UCI Sat morning, to get some information on this false business. Suddenly the world had been  turned upside down. Someone started this rumour without checking the facts. Thats serious.

I almost called a press conference to warn the journalists and to tell them that we were happy with our Tour, with two stage victories. But reason won out, I didnt want to depress myself.

I only want to say to many among them ( journalists) that I understand their job, that they are also in a real race, and are constantly trying to beat the competition. But they too have to respect the rules, and above all, without cheating"

Irishj92007-07-29 04:23:32

Prudhomme ends doping rumours

By Gregor Brown in Cognac

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2007/tour07/tour0719/fs031tn.jpg

The 2007 Tour de France was ripe with a new rumour starting Friday afternoon and running late into the evening that there could be another rider announced positive for a doping control. The rider was rumoured to be stage nine winner and mountains classification leader Mauricio Soler of Barloworld, however, Tour Director Christian Prudhomme clarified that there was no reported case of doping.

"We spoke with the commissionaire of the UCI and they said there was no case," Prudhomme said in a press conference Saturday morning in Cognac.

One Belgian website had reported that the Colombian had already tested positive, and Prudhomme was concerned about the speculation that took place the day before, and reminded the gathered press to base its work on facts. "Please be careful. Pay attention to the real facts."

The speculation was further fuelled by reports of police cars at the Barloworld hotel on Friday night. "Some journalist saw an Ag2r Pr?voyance team car and thought it was a police car," confirmed Prudhomme. "There was not any police at the hotel."

Soler completed the stage 19 time trial in 42nd place.

Says it all!

Thank heavens that our legal system has measures against this - it's called sub judice - which prevents against trial by media.

The media have such a powerful influence over our opinions / thinking that one report or picture sums up our BELIEFS on any given subject matter.

I really, really wonder if Vino could have been "that dumb" - unlikely !

Afraid no law in the world will prevent the running of a story where an eye-witness gives the media an account (ie there were police at the Barloworld hotel).  The media cannot be held accountable provided the story came from what appears to be a credible witness.

Doesn't seem to have affected the team or Soler so no real harm done.

I think its perfectly reasonable to report that " X states that Police were seen at the Barloworld hotel"

But its a big jump from there to " Soler is positive'

Irishj92007-07-29 04:25:50

Afraid no law in the world will prevent the running of a story where an eye-witness gives the media an account (ie there were police at the Barloworld hotel).  The media cannot be held accountable provided the story came from what appears to be a credible witness.

Doesn't seem to have affected the team or Soler so no real harm done.

This is the problem when the "authorities" don't stick to the rules. Rules which are designed specifically to prevent this sort of crap. When Le Equipe gets fed the results of "non-negative", unverified findings and publicises them long before the rider or his management are afforded the opportunity to scrutinise them then this is the next step. The media fights for the scoop and eventually produce their own.

A credible witness in one persons view is quite possibly a liar in another's. Someone lied here and the media jumped on it. How can you say that Soler is not affected. His name will be linked to a "doping scandal" forever. It will be forgotten that it was false claim long before the headlines will be lost in time - especially by the cynics. How many people on this forum now have suspicions about Soler?

Just typical of the sensationalism of the press. Barloworlds legal people should teach these sad losers a thing or too. Sue them for enough euros to pay all thier riders for the next 2 years.

Just typical of the sensationalism of the press. Barloworlds legal people should teach these sad losers a thing or too. Sue them for enough euros to pay all thier riders for the next 2 years.

I wish.... if the press could be sued then Le Equip would be Le Bankrot by now and Messr. Armstrong would be Le smilingLOL 

One thing the press do get right most of the time is avoiding defamation charges.

Anyway good thing it was sorted out and Soler / TBW names been cleared, wonder if the same newspapers carried an apology to Soler and if they did how big a headline it was?? 

I wish.... if the press could be sued then Le Equip would be Le Bankrot by now and Messr. Armstrong would be Le smilingLOL 

One thing the press do get right most of the time is avoiding defamation charges.

Anyway good thing it was sorted out and Soler / TBW names been cleared' date=' wonder if the same newspapers carried an apology to Soler and if they did how big a headline it was?? 

[/quote']

They most likely did on page 23 in an inch by inch column under a full page spread of some french bimbo in various stages of undress.Angry