How I saved Bertha....

Yang

.... the little green grass snake.

Brought in by my cat. I took Bertha out today and set her free in bush far away from human habitation.

20100530_133641_grass_snake.jpg

You're lucky to be alive! Saw a spider in my garage yesterday... had to walk to work today!LOL

Where in Mozambique are you?

You're lucky to be alive! Saw a spider in my garage yesterday... had to walk to work today!LOL

Where in Mozambique are you?

LOL. I'm at a sugar estate north of Maputo.

On a sad note, I came across this puffie this morning, after nearly riding over a snout nosed cobra. I saw the cobra on my side of the track going into some grass and my mate was heading straight for it. I shouted and he did an endo, nearly landing on it. It cleared his sinus- really funny.

Then about 500m on we saw this chap, head crushed in.

A few k's later we came across a Mozambican cobra which had been decapitated. Really sad.

I haven't seen so many snakes in one ride- all over the place.

20100531_052507_Puffie77kb.jpg

I'm sure you really glad when you finish you ride safely.

Do the snakes make you ride faster ?

Actually, yes- they clear my sinuses, so I breathe easier and improve my oxygen intake.LOL

I used to keep snakes as a kid, but seeing a puffie or a mamba crossing the track still gives me an adrenalin rush.

In my past I used to cycle on the Namaqualand west coast. The cobras used to lie on the edge where the tar and the sand met until I came past battling against the wind. Normally the pace wasn't much to talk about and the noise of the wind in one's ears is quite deafening after a while. You want to see a sprint against the wind when one of those beauties suddenly raise their sleek heads hissingly in my direction. I still get the goosebumps!!