How do you clean your drivetrain??

Christoph

Hi guys

I'm wondering what is the best way to clean a road bike's drivetrain...

Here's my method:

1 I've got shimano so I undo the SRAM link

2 take the cassette off

3 put the loose chain and cassette in (Valvoline) degreaser

4 wash well and rinse woth water

5 dry the chain and cassette with a cloth

6 clean chainrings with a damph cloth

7 re-fit chain and cassette

8 spin the gears to get excess water off

9 lube with WhiteLightning or Squirt (dry lube)

Is it a good idea to totally degrease your chain and cassette or is clean green fine?

What do you do when you have campag? (about the chain cleaning) Is their such a thing as a campag chain link for 10 or 11 speed?

What lube is best for typical South AFrican Mielie Lande road riding? (Semi-clean roads with dirt patches here and there)

Which groupset is the most user-friendly considering wash and lubing and maintaining? I wash and lube my bike every 2 weeks (I average about 450km a week)

Thanks guys

Any comments will be highly appreciated

smiley4.gif

I use a Park Tool chain cleaner with Clean Green or similar degreaser and a stiff long bristhled brush (dishwasher brush from Spar) to clean chain and gears.

When i strip a bike for service then i follow your method. I just drop the chain into a small coke bottle and add parafine, shake, soak and rinse with degreaser. Cut bottle open to remove chain.

I only use Squirt on my chains.

We get high milage out of our drive trains  

The bottle method is still the best.

I also found that since I switched to dry lube, I only use a hard brush (carpet one from PnP - R10 randts) and some hotwater + car wash + elbo grease.

Must note that after getting my elchepo bike stand (R120 randts), it makes a big difference in getting to those hard to reach places. I also us the opportunity to service my bike.

well my method is a little more tedious  but works 100%

nail brush & clean green & scrub the chain. it takes time no doubt but i get a clean drive train & the end result is as any other - clean....

I spray engine cleaner on - let soak for a few minutes, spray again, brush in between...rinse & wipe clean ... works a treat !!!

'dt"