Bottle Cage rivvet

yeboabe

Hi,

Any body know what LBS in JHB North has a Alu frame rivvet tool, used to take out bottle cage fixtures and redo them as mine has come loose and one is stripped..??

Do a search here for "Rivnut tool". Was discussed a few weeks ago and a few Gauteng bike shops were mentioned.

Hi' date='

Any body know what LBS in JHB North has a Alu frame rivvet tool, used to take out bottle cage fixtures and redo them as mine has come loose and one is stripped..??[/quote']

I can do it for you. I'm in NW Jhb - Northcliff area.

johanatyellowsaddledotceeodotzeda

I have one as well if you dont come right  (rosebank). Dont have that size rivnuts (5mm I think?) but know where they can be sourced. Did use it this past week to tighten nuts on my 'dale, in fact was a mess since a bolt had siezed in the rivnut, had to drill and manhandle it out. Good case to lightly grease bolts before threading in as a general practice. 

thanks johan and kosmonooit.

i have that same problem kosmonooit, except i've never used the bolt, got the frame with a loose rivnut bolt inside...

how much would you charge for the service?

d00d  I sukkled* to get that bolt out. Easy enough to drill it out, but then half the rivnut will fall into the frame and no doubt causing ever lasting annoying rattle. 

What I did was douse the thing in penetrating oil, bend both sides of the lip of the rivnut on top perpendicular so I could grasp it with pliers whilst removing the rest of the bolt with visegrips.  The bolt was headless since I had to drill that off  to get the cage off. Then it came out,  I then flatened the lips again and pumped it vas with the tool, and put a tap through the rivnut just of for cleanup.  

Its a tricky problem, and no doubt more that one solution. I would not like to risk trying to fix this on anyone else frame, but if you have a rivnut you want tightened or inserted I can help gratis on a Saturday - this is not something I do for $

* baie
kosmonooit2010-06-03 06:05:00

He he....Sukkel is the word. No-one appreciates how much effort goes into removing the old rivnut and they expect the job done for R20-00. At least now you'll have sympathy when you hear that someone paid R150 or thereabouts for the job.

Don't worry too much about the bits and pieces falling inside. They go down the downtube and into the BB. All you have to do is pull the crank and BB and shake it out.

Thanks for the input Johan.

You are 100 % spot on, it is quite a tedious job and not as simple as it may appear.

Pardon the picture quality as it was taken with a moer old Konica.

The bike in question:

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee214/wrxipmreza/PICT0016.jpg

The culprits safely removed:

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee214/wrxipmreza/PICT0026-1.jpg

The place where old rivnuts go to die:

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee214/wrxipmreza/PICT0022.jpg

The new rivnuts and the tool:

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee214/wrxipmreza/PICT0024.jpg

The new babies ready for a cage:

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee214/wrxipmreza/PICT0021.jpg

thanks JB made the update lol I thought there might be a way out for the lower bit if drilled out via the BB junction, but maybe not, and I had just fitted new BB and cranks so was not in the mood for re-doing all that.

Is it standard practice on the bb tube to have openings cut to match intersecting frame tubes?

kosmonooit2010-06-03 06:10:21

thanks JB made the update lol I thought there might be a way out for the lower bit if drilled out via the BB junction' date=' but maybe not, and I had just fitted new BB and cranks so was not in the mood for re-doing all that.

Is it standard practice on the bb tube to have openings cut to match intersecting frame tubes?

[/quote'] I know the feeling. I'll sometimes take a very long way around a problem just 'cause I don't feel like repeating something.

A vacuum cleaner is a good tool to have in the workshop. You can suck rivnuts out of downtubes, nipples out of rims and leader ropes through frames with internal cable routing.

Standard pratice for holes? Yes, if the downtube was sealed at say, the head tube side and the welder now attempted to weld the BB onto the downtube, the welding will bubble from the inside out. This is due to hot air inside the downtube that expands and wants to escape. The only escape route is the melted welding. 

sometimes these holes also help you clamp and position the workpiece.

A structure like that always has a hole somewhere. Chainstays typicalliy have tiny holes somewhere near the dropouts.