Karoo to Coast

Hi All

I am 32 years old and quite active.  I play league squash 3 times a week and run at least twice.  I MTB both days on the weekend.

What would a respectable time be for me on the Karoo to Coast?  I don't want to do it just to finish it but need to know what sort of time to work towards to do a fairly good time.

Any help would be appreciated and if you guys maybe have a training program lying around I wouldn't mind a copy Wink

Thanks

Well maybe we can make this thread a bit of a resource for all of us doing it for the first time. 

C'mon guys all of you who have done this before and have some info or tips ....

what defines a good time Izak?

have you looked at last years times to judge where you will finish?

i ride often, but never done that distance, did the knysna 50km last year, did the 27km of tru-cape etc,,, but casual rider,,,, I stay in durbanville area, just wanna know what route i can do to train for k2C

Errr........   it depends on what you are physiologically (genetically) capable of!

Training helps obviously but there are limits.  For example if I did the same training as my boyfriend we are going to end up doing very very different times.

Are you an 'average' athlete, slightly better than average or slightly worse?  Where do you normally come in your local MTB funrides?

I put together a short spreadsheet for K2C based on the published profile and estimated what I thought I should be aiming at.   e.g. I generally go uphills of x% at a certain speed, so I would enter that speed to estimate how long it would take me to do a particular section, etc etc.  Twas a good guess in the end Smile

Errr........   it depends on what you are physiologically (genetically) capable of!

Training helps obviously but there are limits.  For example if I did the same training as my boyfriend we are going to end up doing very very different times.

Are you an 'average' athlete' date=' slightly better than average or slightly worse?  Where do you normally come in your local MTB funrides?

I put together a short spreadsheet for K2C based on the published profile and estimated what I thought I should be aiming at.   e.g. I generally go uphills of x% at a certain speed, so I would enter that speed to estimate how long it would take me to do a particular section, etc etc.  Twas a good guess in the end Smile

[/quote']

damn thats pretty awesome dedication

I hope you enjoyed the ride. It is pretty awesome and a great introduction to mtbing.

im really just a casual rider,,i just wanna finish,,,last position is fine with me!hiehie,,  i only ride on wednesdays, saturday en sundays,,, i also gym (spinning)... like i said ,,, im the ultimate casual rider

Do not under estimate this race, it's definitely not all downhill to Knysna. Don't jokingly ask for a brandy & coke when someone offers you a coke at the water points while riding past as you may get what you ask for and only realize it after gulping down a cup full! I finished in 4h40 last year and was riding on average 6 hours a week, easy rides. The brandy cost me 30 minutes of my time in the race and i have learned never to drink and ride.

i ride often' date=' but never done that distance, did the knysna 50km last year, did the 27km of tru-cape etc,,, but casual rider,,,, I stay in durbanville area, just wanna know what route i can do to train for k2C[/quote']

the best thing would be to ride that hill in Majic as a warm up, then in the middle of your ride, do it again, and then again at the end of your ride.

also get used to riding downhills at speed as this is a great way to make up some time without to much effort.

I have never done this race/ride but am told that it is mainly gravel roads and jeep track.I am sure there are a number of tough climbs so I would think that you must do a fair bit of hill training and then "time in the saddle".You don't say how long it took to complete the Knysna 50 km but I would add on a couple of hours at least.You need to get your body used to being on the saddle for hours on end.

Enjoy   

Do not under estimate this race' date=' it's definitely not all downhill to Knysna. Don't jokingly ask for a brandy & coke when someone offers you a coke at the water points while riding past as you may get what you ask for and only realize it after gulping down a cup full! I finished in 4h40 last year and was riding on average 6 hours a week, easy rides. The brandy cost me 30 minutes of my time in the race and i have learned never to drink and ride. [/quote']

Clap, you spill alot when you drink and ride. You drink, stop and then ride.

also gonna do this as a first timer this year! looking forward to it! still lots of time for training...