Learn To Ride Track

GNCTrack

Date:  Saturday, 4 August 2007

Time: 12h00 - 15h00
Province:  Gauteng North

Venue:  Pilditch Cycling Track, Pretoria

Purpose:  Learn to Ride (LTR) is designed
to introduce youth and adult cyclists of all abilities to riding the
track. LTR is a three hour session that introduces cyclists to track cycling and teaches the basic skills of handling
a fixed gear track bike, entering and exiting the track, velodrome
ettiquette, riding pacelines, and track racing. This session is put on because we want your experience on the Pilditch Cycling Track to be as safe and fun as possible!

HOPE TO SEE YOU THERE!!!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oops forgot that minor detail...

You can contact me (Sheldon), the track commissioner for GNC at 082 900 8824

A few more things I forgot to add:

There are limited bikes, so please phone me to reserve a spot.

What to bring:

- Cycling shoes and pedals (there are toe-clip pedals on the bikes).

- Helmet and cycling kit

- Something warm to wear (cycling jacket/tights and a track suite) it can get chilly on the track

- A water bottle and some snacks (the track's shop won't be open)

- A willing body and mind

Sheldon

GNCTrack2007-08-06 10:03:27

Hello Everyone

Just a quick update.

The Learn To Ride Track on Saturday was great! There were seven riders in total, most of whom had ridden on the track before, but two guys had never been on the track before! We started off with a brief discussion about the track bike and how it is different to a road bike. The riders were very keen to get on the bikes, so after a brief explanation on how to get started and more importantly how to stop a track bike, everyone jumped onto the track to get used to the bikes a little. After that we went through some of the important safety aspects of riding on the track and riding with other people on the track. This led straight into a discussion on the markings on the track. We then discussed how a paceline works on the track as opposed to the road, and the riders once again got onto the track to try this out. Seeing as all the riders (the new ones included) were all very comfortable on the track (including the steep bankings) we left some of the other drills out and went into a few races. I have some photos of the races which I will be putting up as soon as I get my computer, camera and it's cable in the same location at the same time (hopefully tomorrow morning). Fortunately for us the weather was wonderful, and I think everyone enjoyed the afternoon.

We will still be holding two more Learn To Ride Track (LTRT) sessions the next one will be on the 2nd of September and the final session will be on the 7th of October (I am riding the Cresta Spring Ride in the morning, so this session might start later than usual).

I suggest that all new riders (and anyone who might be a bit rusty on track riding) attend one of these sessions before the racing starts in October!

Sheldon

Would love something like this in JHB

they do have a track day for roadies at hector norris, i believe. sure i read about it here on the hub a while back ? 

WP track training Tues 7 Aug from 18h00 to 20h00. Road and track bikes.  Try the following number 083227 2461 for more info. I got this on sms

en wat van cpt?

Fanie,

Bellville fietsry klub hou sessies by die Velodrom wat baie fun is.  Hulle het fietse wat jy kan leen (soek net een met heel bande en 'n gemklike saal) en dan moet jy GO!  Dis baie weird (en scary) die eerste keer, maar baie lekker as jy dit eers regkry en daar is heelwat meer as 7 ouens daar!

Ek is seker iemand op die Hub sal die details he.  (Kan dalk wees wat Groot Lem gepost het...)

Ewep, Daemon I am track commissioner for Gauteng North, so I only have control over what happens at Pilditch. You are however, more than welcome to join us at Pilditch if you like.

Willehond, just to point out. This was a special event to "teach" people how to ride on the track, and not just give them a bike "en dan moet jy GO!" This is so that it is not "baie weird (en scary) die eerste keer" (well I suppose it is always weird, but hopefully with the LTRT it's not as scary).

We also have normal sessions were there are more than 7 riders. These are held on Wednesday afternoons from 5 till about 7. If anyone is interested in joining us, we also have bikes available, just bring cycling shoes, pedals and helmet (if you have, otherwise just tekkies, we'll provide the rest).

This is our first real season and we are trying to get track cycling going on Pilditch. Please support and encourage us - don't compare us to Belville (yet)?!

Would love something like this in JHB

Hi Daemon,

We have track racing most weekends in JHB (Hector Norris Park). We have just finished the winter league and will start up again on the 1st September with the spring/summer league.

We have also had  a succesfull league for guys and gals that want to ride on their road bikes (you can't do this in Pretoria).  This is a seperate race from the guys on track bikes.

Hector Norris is also not as steep as Pilditch.

Come down on the 1st September and should you want to try a track bike just bring your own pedals and your usaul cycling equipment. One of the guys will help you set up the bike and give you some guidance.

Contact Grenville Scullard or Gail Heuvel.

Gail Heuvel: 011 7072734

As promised, some photos of the racing that took place between the riders after the LTRT session.

Pacing%20down%20the%20back%20straight

The winners of the two races. On the left Johan, winner of the 1500m. He jumped with a lap to go and stayed away till the end. On the right Etienne, winner of the "scratch to elimination". The last lap was a very exciting one with Etienne and Johan sprinting neck and neck, Etienne obviously taking it in the end!

A%20quick%20congratulations