12 Team Milram (Ita) 37,180

13 Gerolsteiner (Ger) 33,980

14 Liquigas (Ita) 32,840

15 Saunier Duval (Spa) 28,060

16 Bouygues Telecom (Fra) 23,260

17 Agritubel (Fra) 15,040

18 AG2R (Fra) 12,540

nochain2007-07-30 02:54:54

Compare this prize money to any another sport....pathetic..

I had the same feeling. And to think this is the biggest paying race on the calendar.

I don't know. This is in Euro's which is stronger than dollars. So apart from sponsorships, endorsements, salaries and other freebees Hunter and friends pocketed over a R1 million, as pocket money.

Discovery is looking at almost R10 million as a small tip.

I dont think that the prize money isn't that bad! Really its only football and golf that has even bigger prize money!

I think what Barloworld did this year is amazing, however, they are now marked men!

Not to shabby at all but it probably cost them more than that to be there.

I was watching Gary Player being interviewed and he made a statement that Ernie Els and Retief Goosen together have made more money out of golf than all the Sportsman in SA put together, and went on to say that what sport should you encourage your child to Play!

It makes me very happy to see TBW way ahead of some serious competition LOLClap

the prize money isint that much,lets be honest... its not just golf and football, tennis,f1,nba basketball and all those other american "world series" sports the list goes on. wow they getting paid in euros but all the other top sports men and women are being paid in euros,dollars or pounds too..

on the other hand really well done to tbw they had an awsum tour and showed up some of the big boys

but are we talking prize money or sponsorships and other deals here? How much does the F1 champ receive in a winning year?

French Open - Total prizemoney = US$ 17.21 Million

Wimbledon - GBP 11,3 Million

These guys play max 7 days for 3 to 4.5 hours at a time. Preparation for Wimbledon typically starts after French.. so about 1 month.

So a top tennis player can retire at age 24 and he has already earned more than the top cyclist who is just beginning to ride the tour will earn for the rest of is life...hehehe

My kids are going to play golf

The initial post by TCS adds up to total of about 1.9m Euro.  TV presenters stated total purse to  be around 3.1m Euro.  Where did the rest go?  Individual winners??  Or are individual funds calculated into team totals?

Yes cycling has very low prize money compared to many other sports, but is cycling really a spectator sport?  If you are not a cyclist, it is really boring to watch, and even for cyclists, to watch a flat stage in the Tour, gets ot be boring (except for the last 50 km's or so).

No spectators = no sposnorship = low prize funds.

The way I see it is that its not about the money! If I could make  pro-tour team, but the catch was I wasn't going to get paid more than R4000 a month, I would still do it!

I dont think that the prize money isn't that bad! Really its only football and golf that has even bigger prize money!
I think what Barloworld did this year is amazing' date=' however, they are now marked men!
[/quote']

Don't forget that the mechanics etc also get given a slice of the prize money.

Even if it was only the riders getting money it would be about 13 000 each.

To put that prize money into perspective, that would be less than year's salary for a Public Office director general (big boss) here in Ireland.

I think what Barloworld did this year is amazing' date=' however, they are now marked men!

[/quote']

Don't forget that the mechanics etc also get given a slice of the prize money.

Even if it was only the riders getting money it would be about 13 000 each.

To put that prize money into perspective, that would be less than year's salary for a Public Office director general (big boss) here in Ireland.

I do realise that mechs and soigneurs also get a slice!

LOL thats not bad, but in all honesty, whose job would you rather have?