SPECIALIZED BRAIN SHOCKS

swoosh1973

Does any body know how the mechanism of this  brain shock works?

They sound absolutely awsome? Any expereineced riders on these bikes and how these shocks compares to the ususal rock shocks and Fox, Manitou etc?

Anybody know the brain mechanism? My brains being fried trying to figure out the tehnology behind itConfused

The brain works only on the compression stroke of the shock. It comprises a heavyish brass valve that by default lies on top of a hole in the "brain". This hole regulates the flow of oil from one part of the shock to another, but only on the compression stroke. Under smooth conditions, the brass valve keeps the hole closed and oil cannot flow through and the shock can thus not compress.

Should it hit a bump, the weight bounces up and opens the hole and oil can flow through and the shock can compress.

The return speed of the weight is supposedly where the intelligence lies. This delayed return speed (it moves back through thick oil) supposedly "senses" that another bump is on the way and the valve thus remains open. The theory is that bumps comes in series of two or three.

Fox used the same principle in its Terralogic forks. Terralogic owners will attest to the low IQ of that system.

More sophisticated versions of the brain includes Stable Platform Valves. Again, they do the same thing which is to keep the fork/shock locked out under smooth conditions but allows it to open when the bike hits a bump. Proper SPVs are adjustable for sensitivity to high and low-speed bumps.

A low-velocity bump, or rather, event, would typically be a berm. There is no sudden bump but you would not want your fork to compress when riding it. A high-speed bump is a rock in the road or similar, not a gentle bump.

A proper SPV (as opposed to a dumb weight) is pressure sensitive and can be adjusted for sensitivity by increasing or decreasing the pressure in the shock/fork on the compression side. Note that this pressure has nothing to do with fork stiffness or as it is properly called, spring rate.

Brain or SPV adjustment requires a dial of sorts that literally screws a piston into a cavity that then adjust the pressure inside the shock, making the SPV more or less sensitive.

Even more sophisticated versions allow the user to adjust the volume of the air cavity, as well as the pressure. This gives you the ability to adjust sensitivity to high and low velocity events independently.

Fox' shox with Propedal is an example of a SPV system without adjustment.  

The subtlety of these adjustments makes a whooshing sound above most users' heads, including mine.

The brain works only on the compression stroke of the shock. It comprises a heavyish brass valve that by default lies on top of a hole in the "brain"........blah.blah.blah

Have you actaully seen the inside of one, in your hands, the internals of the brain tube and it's innards ?

The brain works only on the compression stroke of the shock. It comprises a heavyish brass valve that by default lies on top of a hole in the "brain"........blah.blah.blah

Have you actaully seen the inside of one' date=' in your hands, the internals of the brain tube and it's innards ?[/quote']

Wait, let me pop some popcorn in the microwave LOL

Here we go again. Yes I have.

Dangle, I've generalised the explanation to cover several of the platform systems out there. But if you have any additions to make, please do so. If you differ of feel I misrepresented something, please feel free to add.

Yes here we go again.

You might have had a brain shock in the hand but a stripped down one with all innards exposed, let me guess, nope you have not.

Now I am not going to sit here and explain the brain shock in detail, I get paid to do those things, but when I see a misunderstanding on what it does I will chirp in.

Three things, they have moved on from brass for the inertia valve in the newer models.

The valve does not sit "on top of a hole" but rather around a tube which has a hole about 1 centimeter from the bottom of the brain compartment itself.

The inertia valve does not only operate on the compression stroke, it's an inertia valve for goodness sake, so at any moment of inertia it starts doing it's job.

Inertia is a term used to explain the resistance of an object in a "state of motion" whether it's on compression through a rut or just bunny hopping the bike, when you bunny hop the inertia valve changes it's resistance and allows oil through the hole which is located in a very thin tube that sit's in the brain.

The valve itself has a hole through the centre and slides up and down this tube.

There is a lot more I can explain in much finer detail but the original poster can call me if he wants to hear it all, I simply don't have the time or the inclination to sit and type here for hours on end.

It just seems to be an impulsive reaction by yourself to respond on everything possible and often it's just guess work and then you get taken to task.

It's not that difficult to understand, you often challenge other posters.

Yes here we go again.

You might have had a brain shock in the hand but a stripped down one with all innards exposed' date=' let me guess, nope you have not.

Now I am not going to sit here and explain the brain shock in detail, I get paid to do those things, but when I see a misunderstanding on what it does I will chirp in.

Three things, they have moved on from brass for the inertia valve in the newer models.

The valve does not sit "on top of a hole" but rather around a tube which has a hole about 1 centimeter from the bottom of the brain compartment itself.

The inertia valve does not only operate on the compression stroke, it's an inertia valve for goodness sake, so at any moment of inertia it starts doing it's job.

Inertia is a term used to explain the resistance of an object in a "state of motion" whether it's on compression through a rut or just bunny hopping the bike, when you bunny hop the inertia valve changes it's resistance and allows oil through the hole which is located in a very thin tube that sit's in the brain.

The valve itself has a hole through the centre and slides up and down this tube.

There is a lot more I can explain in much finer detail but the original poster can call me if he wants to hear it all, I simply don't have the time or the inclination to sit and type here for hours on end.

It just seems to be an impulsive reaction by yourself to respond on everything possible and often it's just guess work and then you get taken to task.

It's not that difficult to understand, you often challenge other posters.[/quote']

dangle what is interesting, is that it takes a post from JB in order to get you to respond?

why instead of attacking JB, dont you offer insight to the original posters question, adding info to JB post so we can all learn, instead of trying to assert some form of I know more than you?

JB was keeping it simple and basic - you take it to the detail. This thread is going to turn into a massive debate on inertia and who does what with every james sheila and bruce having something to say and the posters question not being answered.

So in an effort to make things simple - because you deal with these things everyday try keep it simple (we are simple people after all) and answer the original posters question, as I would like an answer as well.

oh yes Uni ruan cycle post was interesting and the most helpfull of the lot.

Would a shock help on a unicycle ?

' date=' adding info to JB post so we can all learn, answer the original posters [/quote']

Errrm, if you have not noticed, I did just that, or do you perhaps feel that my explanation is not that informative ?

This is not an "attack" on JB, but rather correcting him so we don't all get miss led with half facts.

There are so many iterations of brain shocks and if we had to go in it we will all be sitting here the whole day explaining it and asking questions.

Ultimately it will lead to the usual wind up of it being smoke and mirrors and R&D marketing bs.

He seems to have a habit of doing this to individuals on a very regular basis, what makes me different ?(if you wish I will pm. you a list of links to these posts)

So if you tell me the sky is green must I then add that there is a hint of blue in it ?

Perhaps you should look at my first post which was a simple question, the response was, "here we go again"

This to me opened the door to a discussion which I knew would not remain civil.

So simply yes, I will refrain from further explanation of how the brain works, before the engineers at Specialized get accused of being a bunch of idiots by some laymen.

Just as a matter of interest, I often get asked why I don't post in the technical Q&A, well this is exactly why I don't.

It's too difficult for some individuals to understand that when they see a loophole in your argument they will get on board and make you aware of it, but oh my soul, don't do it to them.Dangle2010-06-02 14:24:45

BRAIN SHOCK imo refers to the rear shock and its semidetached BRAIN, the thing that looks like it could jam into your spokes any second...

Question: Does the Specialized rear SHOCK and FRONT fork work with the same type of BRAIN?

In the late 90s spies from Specialized succeeded in kidnapping the lab rats known as Pinky and THE BRAIN from Warner Bros studios. They have since managed to clone the two rodents in great numbers. A Brain clone is inserted into each new brain shock and he then governs the function of the suspension in an attempt to take over the world. Faulty shocks are those where a Pinky clone was mistakenly inserted instead. Any questions?

why instead of attacking JB' date=' dont you offer insight to the original posters question, adding info to JB post so we can all learn, instead of trying to assert some form of I know more than you? 

[/quote']

Agree with Slowbee here, above is unnecessary, if you know something different then post your facts without tearing into someone that also took the time to answer.

Doesnt make a difference to my life, but the poor oke asked the Q now has to sift through 20 pages of okes klapping each other to try and get an answer.

Enjoy the day.Smile

In the late 90s spies from Specialized succeeded in kidnapping the lab rats known as Pinky and THE BRAIN from Warner Bros studios. They have since managed to clone the two rodents in great numbers. A Brain clone is inserted into each new brain shock and he then governs the function of the suspension in an attempt to take over the world. Faulty shocks are those where a Pinky clone was mistakenly inserted instead. Any questions?

Yes, were any of the rats cloned in Gauteng cuz my shock only works 3 days every two weeks and then goes on strike?

?It just seems to be an impulsive reaction by yourself to respond on everything possible and often it's just guess work and then you get taken to task.
why instead of attacking JB' date=' dont you offer insight to the original posters question, adding info to JB post so we can all learn, instead of trying to assert some form of I know more than you?? [/quote']

?

Agree with Slowbee here, above is unnecessary, if you know something different then post your facts without tearing into someone that also took the time to answer.

?

Doesnt make a difference to my life, but the poor oke asked?the Q now has to sift through 20 pages of okes klapping each other to try and get an answer.

?

Enjoy the day.Smile

Firstly I don't see 20 pages of mud slinging

Secondly, read my response to Slowbee, you might then understand my reaction.

Thirdly if the wish is as such I will make sure that I do tear in to someone in the future.

Then finally if your brain shock doesn't work as you claim, then rather contact the agents instead of humorously trying to tell us about the problem. smiley2.gif