Burger vs Agus MTB

SURFER

I have done the Argus MTB (long distance twice) on a hardtail. My fitnees level was above average.  I found to be tough, maybe the heat.

I would like to do the Burger MTB this year (long distance).  My fitness level is very good.  How does it compare with the Argus MTB.

I must admit I am still nervouos of very technical single track.  Prefer more jeep track and easy flowing single track

I've done Burger MTB 3 times.. There is only one word to discribe it. MUD . It's fun though, just kinda distroys your bike.

To true, Ive only done the 42km distance of the Burger and must say its much more of a Mtb race than Argus, the year before last It was aparently much more of a mud fest. I didnt do the argus this year because Its such a *** route. but have done it the previous 3. I enjoyed the Stellies race much more.

Was a little muddy yes but nothing any other wintertime race wouldnt have (2009) not to technical , but proper climbs!

SURFER, you talking about the 75km one?  I think it was 65 last year

Im in two minds about that as I got the invite to do the longer one yesterday.. mm... Its  3 weeks after Knysna so I should be strong. mm what to do.

I've done Burger MTB 3 times.. There is only one word to discribe it. MUD . It's fun though' date=' just kinda distroys your bike.[/quote']

It wasn't too bad last year mud wise, I think it's harder than the Argus mtb, I remember last year they took all the cool singletrack out of the alst section because the route wasn't safe.

To true' date=' Ive only done the 42km distance of the Burger and must say its much more of a Mtb race than Argus, the year before last It was aparently much more of a mud fest. I didnt do the argus this year because Its such a *** route. but have done it the previous 3. I enjoyed the Stellies race much more.

Was a little muddy yes but nothing any other wintertime race wouldnt have (2009) not to technical , but proper climbs!

Im in two minds about that as I got the invite to do the longer one yesterday.. mm... Its  3 weeks after Knysna so I should be strong. mm what to do.
[/quote']

You'll be fine, they've added more climbing and more single track.

It is very tough and last year it was perfect weather, but on the year before it was so muddy and I struggled to change the gears.  There are some single tracks and jeep tracks. Lots of climbing.....

To true' date=' Ive only done the 42km distance of the Burger and must say its much more of a Mtb race than Argus, the year before last It was aparently much more of a mud fest. I didnt do the argus this year because Its such a *** route. but have done it the previous 3. I enjoyed the Stellies race much more.

[/quote']

Great, Man, I was so worried they put in more flat dirtroads. LOL

Speaking of cycling, I start work at 9 now, so I want to come do a critical mass, they still happen? first friday of the month right?  where again.. Im a bit rusty
Bos2010-06-02 07:57:25

It's a cool ride and much more fun than the Argus MTB challenge which I found really boring. Trying the 60km one this year - did the 42km last year.

[/quote']

Great, Man, I was so worried they put in more flat dirtroads. LOL

Speaking of cycling, I start work at 9 now, so I want to come do a critical mass, they still happen? first friday of the month right?  where again.. Im a bit rusty

CM is normally last friday of the month, we took a rain check last week due to weather and want to have it this week.

Baxter @ 06:45 and CTICC @ 07:15

To true' date=' Ive only done the 42km distance of the Burger and must say its much more of a Mtb race than Argus, the year before last It was aparently much more of a mud fest.?I didnt do the argus this year because Its such a *** route. but have done it the previous 3.?I enjoyed the Stellies race much more.

SURFER, you talking about the 75km one?? I think it was 65 last year

Im in two minds about that as I got the invite to do the longer one yesterday.. mm... Its? 3 weeks after Knysna so I should be strong. mm what to do.
[/quote']

?

?

?

?

?

Great, Man, I was so?worried they put in more flat?dirtroads. LOL

?

Speaking of cycling, I start work at 9 now, so I want to come do a critical mass, they still happen? first friday of the month right?? where again.. Im a bit rusty

?

?

CM is normally last friday of the month, we took a rain check last week due to weather and want to have it this week.

Baxter @ 06:45 and CTICC @ 07:15

?

?

Please forward the new date to the Hogs too ... I will/should be there for the CM at the CTICC ..

Will be doing my 3rd Burger MTB this year. (past 2 was 42km) The 42km by far more tougher than the 55km Argus MTB. Ready for the 60km this year.

Thanks for feedback.  What I have realised from MTB rides is that any ride longer than 55 km is though.  Tempted to enter, 75 km is m%$rse far.  Did not like the Argus MTB. 

Been training regular (3-4 times a week) on MTB and road.   Will concentrate more on MTB for the next 2 months. 

Thanks for feedback.  What I have realised from MTB rides is that any ride longer than 55 km is though.  Tempted to enter' date=' 75 km is m%$rse far.  Did not like the Argus MTB. 

Been training regular (3-4 times a week) on MTB and road.   Will concentrate more on MTB for the next 2 months. 
[/quote']

I did both. Burger can be muddy, I will concentrate on my off road skills and fitness, such as doing single track and jeep track and also lots of hill climbing, off road, the rougher the surface the better.

Is the 100Miler less technical than argus/burger?  

Maybe next year with some SERIOUS training. 

Will do more hillcrest/conters/table mountain training for Burger.  

Thanks for feedback.  What I have realised from MTB rides is that any ride longer than 55 km is though.  Tempted to enter' date=' 75 km is m%$rse far.  Did not like the Argus MTB. 

[/quote']

I did both. Burger can be muddy, I will concentrate on my off road skills and fitness, such as doing single track and jeep track and also lots of hill climbing, off road, the rougher the surface the better.

Thats right. I always say anything longer "on the saddle" than 3 hours starts eating away at your sense of humour. For me anyway. I guess If you do 2x 3-4 hour rides a week this will start to change..god for you

The 100 miler is a exception to normal distance races..

most races "long routes" that are between 65- 85 km, it takes me about 3:3-4:30 hours depends on the technicality. but I will back you surfer, a 75km and a 50 km race needs to be approached a little different. 50km you can gun as hard as you can from the start but a 75km you know youre going to pay for the first 20 km in the last 15 km. so a little more conservativeness goes a long way. However as you get fitter you can start playing with the lions balls a bit and go hard all the way, but then I get in the habit, and sometimes forget my Lack of fitness but still go hard from the startLOL outch!

Oh and by the way.. I heard a birdy chirp something about a complete route change for Knysna 75km race...didnt hear it from me though..just a roumour that I heard in Knysna last weekend.