GT Avalanche & Rear tyre size

Mojoman

I am currently running a 2.1 crossmark on the back wheel, I was wondering if anyone is using a larger size tyre and if the bike handles a bit better. The bike shop told me that they only sell 2.1 tyres really.

Handling has got alot to do with the geometry of the bike itself and your actual set up EG: stem length ect.

I'm not realy shure if a wider tyre will help, I'm on 2.00 Larsen TT at the moment and the handling is great.

If you do decide to put a wider tyre in just check frame clearence as it may be an issue. as the tyre could rub on the chain stays

If you can fit a bigger tyre in it will make a difference in the comfort you feel.

I would say go for it, if your bike shop doesn't have or won't order some then try another bike shop.

NB: Some brands of tyres are bigger than others. I would suggest the GEAX Saguarro 2.2 TNT, high volume, fast rolling, works well as a front and rear tyre.

Sorry, I think I phrased this wrong, I am looking to add a bit of 'cushioning' and traction to the rear, I used to use the 2.0 Larsens and they are great and fast, now I would like to keep a Larsen up front and have something that rolls fast and is a bit wider on the rear, hence the Crossmark.

Just some advice on  the TNT type tyres, the bead is really strong so make sure you can get it off your rim if you cut the tyre, or you are stranded. 

I had a Bontrager tubeless ready tyre and eventually had to use a screwdriver to get it off, and I just cut the other tyre off that was worn.  Was on No tubes rims so maybe thats bead hook is the cause but just be aware

I have an Avalanche, and played around with tyres a bit. The bike came standard with Nevegals (2.3 F, 2.1 R) which I was always very happy with, grip and comfort. However, a bad night race knee-deep in mud highlighted the lack of clearance between frame and rear tyre. I have since moved on to 2.1 Small Block 8 at the rear and a 2.1 Nevegal in the front, which I really like. I don't think you can fit a much larger rear tyre than a 2.1, though that depends on manufacturer. I know Conti's are usually significantly smaller than their size would have you believe.