Rear Flashing Red lights

Hairy

Hi All

I am looking for a good rear flashing red light to add.

I often ride in very dark areas and the brighter the better right?

Does anyone have experience with the BlackBurn Flea rear light .. sells for about the R260.00 mark, but is USB rechargeable, so is easily recharged at work or home.

Other suggestions please?

H

TRy the serfas ones, its about R140 in a variety of colours, one led but it has a nice lens so it give the impression of a much larger light, mounts with a rubber strap on bar or post, you get red and white light.  can flash and have a constant light.

But if you use it allot the watch type batteries may become expensive so the flea or such may be better there

Thanks

I use the lights 5 - 6 times a week for about 2 1/2 to 3 hours usage daily.

I like to use the light during the day light aswell ... can't take chances :)

even cheaper than that is the knog frog rear light

that 1 little LED gives me freakin arc eye everytime i switch it on in the dark. bonus is its impossible to get it wet & trust me ive gotten it so mucked up with mud & stuff

I bought mine from solomans for something like 75 bux or thereabout. just uses a normal 3 volt battery which is as easy to replace as falling out a tree & lasts forever. Ive had mine since last year & havent replaced the battery yet & its still going strong

20100603_035411_untitled.jpg

Just get the cheapest light you can that just takes normal AAA batteries.

Get two or even three of them.

One on you, helmet and bike.

You really dont want to be rely on just one flasher and if it goes out you are going to be in trouble.

Also having more lights = more chance of being seen.

My bud is in the process of putting together some super bright lights. Once all of the pieces have arrived I am looking at building something to go into the drops. (Where the tape gets folded into)

I will stick a XPG led or something like that in there. And so with 300 odd lumens flashing back, there is no-way that I will not be seen from the back.

I will leave it white as well just to make sure.

LEDS are going to be pretty cheap, maybe like R50 or something. But then the driver will be about R300 at least and the battery pack is where I will need to get creative because that + a charger will add up quickly.

Thinking about just using normal rechargeables which I already have. Those will give me enough juice for a ride on flashing mode.

One on you' date=' helmet and bike.

[/quote']

If you put one on you, just do not clamp it to your jersey pocket. When you hunch over the thing shines in the air and is not visible. I actually put mine on the bottom of my back pack for when I hunch over, the bottom of the bag is visible ans so is the light.

Guest Frail4Life

Try Cateye the long sausage with 5 leds, about R200 / R250.

Or a Head light / helmet light from Black Diamond with 3 leds, R550.

If the rear Flea is anything like the front one, it is fantastic! The USB charging is really useful. An alternative is the single RavX red light. It takes two 2032 watch batteries and is elasticated, so you can put it onto your bike, or like me, on the back of your helmet so it is quite high up. You can even put on your spokes for a continuous red beam from behind.

I've got on of those Serfas ones. Carefull, arc eyes are a definate risk!

These puppies are bright!

I have the front and rear Flea, they work great. very bright and the usb charging is very convenient.

Combine it with a ravx at the back of your helmet.

Guest Frail4Life
Just get the cheapest light you can that just takes normal AAA batteries.
One on you' date=' helmet and bike.
You really dont want to be rely on just one flasher and if it goes out you are going to be in trouble.
Also having more lights = more chance of being seen.

My bud is in the process of putting together some super bright lights. Once all of the pieces have arrived I am looking at building something to go into the drops. (Where the tape gets folded into)
I will stick a XPG led or something like that in there. And so with 300 odd lumens flashing back, there is no-way that I will not be seen from the back.
I will leave it white as well just to make sure.
LEDS are going to be pretty cheap, maybe like R50 or something. But then the driver will be about R300 at least and the battery pack is where I will need to get creative because that + a charger will add up quickly.
Thinking about just using normal rechargeables which I already have. Those will give me enough juice for a ride on flashing mode.
[/quote']

Similar design been made before, very weak light.

Ran on 2 small watch batteries.

Just get the cheapest light you can that just takes normal AAA batteries. Get two or even three of them. One on you' date=' helmet and bike. You really dont want to be rely on just one flasher and if it goes out you are going to be in trouble. Also having more lights = more chance of being seen. My bud is in the process of putting together some super bright lights. Once all of the pieces have arrived I am looking at building something to go into the drops. (Where the tape gets folded into) I will stick a XPG led or something like that in there. And so with 300 odd lumens flashing back, there is no-way that I will not be seen from the back. I will leave it white as well just to make sure. LEDS are going to be pretty cheap, maybe like R50 or something. But then the driver will be about R300 at least and the battery pack is where I will need to get creative because that + a charger will add up quickly. Thinking about just using normal rechargeables which I already have. Those will give me enough juice for a ride on flashing mode. [/quote']

?

Similar design been made before, very weak light.

Ran on 2 small watch batteries.

yep, you do get the ones that fit into there already.

Not bright enough and I am not going to use watch batteries with the amount of riding that I do.

When this project is finished, it is going to be like having a magic shine light flashing backwards.

Cutter electronics is where we are getting the LED's from. They have just made a new one - its called the XM. Gives out 160Lumens per watt. At full power 750 lumens at 7 watts. Compared to the P7 (magicshine - about 700 true at 10Watts.)

So technology is moving quick.

The problem is... to build a decent flasher, using a really bright LED and Li-ion battery, the parts alone will cost you upwards of R500...

Most people want their lives to be saved, but don't want to pay for  a decent flasher - and remember, people will still fail to see you! Even with the brightest flasher you can think of. The other day, with a 1000+ lumen light on flash mode facing forward, illuminating road signs during bright daylight, a car drove right over a stop street almost into me. One thing about a bright flasher - at night, you are the king... cars really slow down before passing you.  

Forget about these 3xAAA toys you see in shops. Forget about anything red if you want to be seen during daytime.

If you don't want to build something yourself, get a 3-mode Ultrafire WF-502B torch with Li-ion batteries and charger and use as is, WHITE. White is much more visible during daytime.

Easy to fix it to seatpost with clever use of 2 reflector mounting clamps.  

And yes! Very very exciting LED technology available soon!    

R100 for knog lights. Just got the beetle for up front as ai have the 5 light at the back. Very good on batteries but a mission to change the batteries in a hurry. GF has the 3 light version and in a year i have chnaged the batteries once (about 50 hours use on night rides and when i cant find my lights :) )