UCI and Motorizing

Bike Mob

Just a thought... wouldn't the oldest stupidest law in cycling...the 6.8kg bike minimum weight limit be more productive if it was now set in reverse?

If the pro peleton still had to weigh their bikes to conform but with a 6.8 kg maximum weight limit instead, there would be no room for extra engines and the developers could really spent more time building bikes and pushing boundaries... the consumer would benefit from the increased R&D.

Plus if you could ride a 5kg spez bike bike and a 6kg Cannondale for example there would be more competition amongst manufacturers and teams would have to pick their bikes more carefully and almost have to qualify for the lightest parts.

What do you think?

Tarmac-GSTR2010-06-03 06:06:04

I Agree, the weight limit was set how many years back?  Surely the teams have to add things to the bikes just to make sure it is heavier than 6.8kgs. 

It is better to stay 6,8kg weight limit, otherwise I will go bankrupt Ha! ha!

I noticed that lots of teams using lighter bikes, so they add powertap with it.  

Plus if you could ride a 5kg spez bike bike and a 6kg Cannondale for example there would be more competition amongst manufacturers and teams would have to pick their bikes more carefully and almost have to qualify for the lightest parts.

What do you think?

A bit more like  F 1 ??

Makes all the sence in the world, Why the hell level the playing field..  If teams like MTN (2009) didnt have a sub 10 g full sus bike for the epic, the guys had to live with teams Like Spez which had a 9kg cabon epic.. but it definatey made a difference.

The trickle down tech would get better for the end consumer...who ultimately pays for the R&D anyhow...

If there is no mtb limit why not do the same for road.

Canondale make a scary light Taurine... look how the development of mtb has come light years in the last 2-4 years. because there is no restriction.

They could do that - or they could invest in a metal detector or two. The bike are pretty much plastic so a motor should stand out?

Also anyone else think that "Motorised Doping" is a silly, clunky term and the media etc should find something better  e.g. motor-cheating?

i think it's a stupid term as well...dope to me means drugs. A motor is not a drug.

Even "motorizing" would be better.

Motorising with a programmed UCI chip that only allows for 3x 10sec powered intervals during each 100km would make racing very interesting. Dont push the button when you're sitting in the bunch/ dusty corner though...LOL

Even updated my topic...unless your hiding coke in the frames to get it over the border...it's not doping.

Motorising with a programmed UCI chip that only allows for 3x 10sec powered intervals during each 100km would make racing very interesting. Dont push the button when you're sitting in the bunch/ dusty corner though...LOL

But it should be linked to the brakes like the F1 kers system, should make for a lot of overtaking...LOLLOL