'XX' and '10 speed'

BBN

I think this is the way to go but has anyone got experience of how well the thinner chain lasts on this setup.

Would it not be better to set up a 9 speed with the two front chain wheels, ie 18 speed?

M2C.

should last the same...it's the rollers that wear...not the links.

I have 2 x 9 and it's perfectly fine.

The 2 x 10 use the same chains as road groupsets.

As Tarmac says, there is unlikely to be a major difference in life span between 9 and 10 speed chains.  Chains are in any event relatively cheap.

The real expense with XX is the casette at R 3000 a pop. Although you will shortly be able to buy lower specced 10 speed cassetts from SRAM (XO, X9 and X7) which should be cheaper.

Surely because thay have to use a thinner chain on a 2x10 it will not be as strong?

How do you set up a 2x9, do you need a different front shifter and derailleur?

No, everything stays the same if you get a double crankset. You only change the limit screws on the fd.

Interesting, would you use an 11-34 cassette and a bigger ratio on the chain rings to give yourself a wider range?

What size chain rings would you use?

I've used a 10 speed chain on my 9 speed setup, works fine. I also have it configured as 18 speed with a normal front der and normal 3 speed shifter, its all in the settings.

*edit : dont think you can use a 9 speed chain on a 10 speed cassette as it will be too wide, but it should last the same amount of time anyway.mtb_Josh2010-06-03 09:22:38

Surely because thay have to use a thinner chain on a 2x10 it will not be as strong?

How do you set up a 2x9' date=' do you need a different front shifter and derailleur?
[/quote']

The chains on the road are subjected to Boonen, Cancellara etc and they dont snap them... I doubt you will.

Aso all the current MTB pro's are running xx so they are perfectly safe.

for 2 x 9.. limit the FD and get a double crank if you want.

I've used a 10 speed chain on my 9 speed setup' date=' works fine. I also have it configured as 18 speed with a normal front der and normal 3 speed shifter, its all in the settings.

*edit : dont think you can use a 9 speed chain on a 10 speed cassette as it will be too wide, but it should last the same amount of time anyway.[/quote']

What size rings do you use on the front?

I have had 4 chains through one XX cassette since the beginning of the year, my impression thus far is that they wear quicker, even though they are strong.

I've used a 10 speed chain on my 9 speed setup' date=' works fine. I also have it configured as 18 speed with a normal front der and normal 3 speed shifter, its all in the settings. *edit : dont think you can use a 9 speed chain on a 10 speed cassette as it will be too wide, but it should last the same amount of time anyway.[/quote']

?

What size rings do you use on the front?

44-32 and an 11-32 cassette.

I'm running 29-42 with a 11-34 casette.

If you're not riding lots of steep long hills then you can get away with 11-32

Check out the chart below. The one colour give all the gears for 22-32-44 and 11-32 casette and the other the gears for 29-42 and 11-34 casette.

20100603_100609_untitled.JPG

So basically the slowest gear of a 2x9 will be between the 2nd and 3rd slowest gears of a 3x9 and the fastest 2x9 gear will be between the fastest and 2nd fastest 3x9 gear

Not too shoot u down Josh but your setup is kinda bodged IMO, fine for babbas and so but I think in a hilly ride like Kgaswane I did the other day you are gonna suffer, but I guess your legs can handle it ;)

Not too shoot u down Josh but your setup is kinda bodged IMO' date=' fine for babbas and so but I think in a hilly ride like Kgaswane I did the other day you are gonna suffer, but I guess your legs can handle it ;) [/quote']

I know its a kinda weird setup, but I fancy myself as a climber, so I get away with it. The only day that I've missed a granny ring was that day that I bonked. I've ridden some nasty mountains in the cape and survived with no problem!