Look sharp when buying 2nd hand Carbon bikes

mark ellis

Guys just a friendly warning:

Look carefully when buying Carbon Frames and bikes.  A lot of non-branded carbon frames have found there way to our shores and many are being branded as high end frames.

I know most on here would spot them fast, I have just seen a great example on Gumtree being sold as a Karbona but when comparing to the Karbona site and looking at the catalogs I was sent from the east I found it in one.  I had been questioning the dude about the frame and when I challenged him about my findings earlier today the add was pulled.

There was a case a while back on here of a "specialized" sworks being sold which was quickly shot down as an unbranded frame, finally getting the seller to admit. 

Was chatting to a chap at Teak sports a few weekes back who over te moon with his Carbon trek he had got for a bargain.....never had ther heart to tell him or show him his frame on my laptop that I could have got from the East fro about 4K

As said many time by wise hubbers.....if it looks to good to be true....it normally is! 

how many frames are made by the same manufacturer, then sprayed and  branded  according to the end sellers wishes? 

how many frames are made by the same manufacturer' date=' then sprayed and ?branded? according to the end sellers wishes?? [/quote']

Do not be fooled into believing the made in the same factory as x.

I'll give you a real world example of a mattress factory in Cape Town, a industry I was involved in years back. Its a mattress factory that makes edblo, King Koil, Sealy, Slumberland and a few other smaller brands.

All made by the same staff.

All use the same wire in their spring systems.

All use the same sewing machines.

But, not all made to the same specifications. And this is the difference.

When said factory has a reject batch of mattresses, they then rebrand them. Sometimes its just cosmetic and the end-consumers scores, other times its a defect and end-consumer is the looser.

Now this applies to all products.

after sales service is also something to consider.  But I believe that big advertisments also mean bigger costs for the consumer; and that sometimes a smaller, lesser known brand may be a big score.

yip very true,

and this has been talked about in lenght on here, carbon is carbon, different grades etc, its the way they make the frames that differs.

end of the day if I buy a carbon frame and I think im getting a scott, Im happy to pay scott prices.  If I am paying scott prices for a bike that says "scott" but was made and landed in the country for 4 grand I am not going to be happy.

that is the truth! dishonest dealers can catch unsuspecting buyers.  and salespeople who care more for the buck than the ride will find any way to move stock.  I know many smaller, underground surfboard shapers can easily supply boards that ride perfecty but cost less than "known" brands boards.  Can this carry over into the bike frame market?

that is the truth! dishonest dealers can catch unsuspecting buyers.  and salespeople who care more for the buck than the ride will find any way to move stock.  I know many smaller' date=' underground surfboard shapers can easily supply boards that ride perfecty but cost less than "known" brands boards.  Can this carry over into the bike frame market?[/quote']

The independent market can often offer you a superior product at a fraction of the price of your mainstream.

The real challenge is on the consumer end: Are you (we) educated enough to see that the cheaper product being offered is as good as the more expensive brand.

If your one of the lucky few that can say yes, then your going to be scoring all the way.

But sad reality is the majority of us do not know what to look out for, or what questions to ask, or understand the true costing of products. End of day its often safer for a product-noob to pay more for a branded product.

Does anyone know about a brand called EVO. I have recently seen a full carbon HT in a second hand shop in CT. It was labelled a demo bike and is pretty tempting, can't find anything on the net though...

Does anyone know about a brand called EVO. I have recently seen a full carbon HT in a second hand shop in CT. It was labelled a demo bike and is pretty tempting' date=' can't find anything on the net though...

[/quote']

The guy who does EVO is a member of the Hub

check out www.evo-bike.co.za (Its something along those lines) Smile

Sweet thanks, only just saw the ad at the top of the home page. Website is pretty scarse still...any experience of the quality?

Thanks, only just saw the ad at the top of the screen. The site is still pretty scarse on info...any experience of the quality?

Hey Palaedom

PM me with any questions about that HT. It was one I brought in from Taiwan to asses quality,finishing of frame etc before distributing them (same with roadbikes)

In essence it is a demo-model that has hardly been ridden.

I have decided that for the time being I am concentrating my efforts on the SINTESI-bikes as they are more well-known, unbelievable quality and excellently priced. Sintesi also has a dual-suspension available which the Taiwan-factory did not have...

I handed the EVO HT in at Avron's shop to be sold.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Naas

just to be clear, i am in no way knocking the unbranded frames, asked on here a few month back about them and appart from one joker the people that have them are more than happy, I myself have a demo comming over (for the last 6 weeks!)

I think if it can be done properly can take a big share in our market, seems like timing of stock is the biggest issue right now. 

EVO any links to the MX foam?