Power measurement options for MTB

SwissVan

Wot about the new look Keo pedal (with Polar) with power measuring thingys?

Maybe they also got a MTB version in the pipe line?

Powertap will be the cheapest and easiest to use.

Other Powermeters whilst good are expensive.

I would not recommend power meters that estimate power using calculations and estimations such as polar, I would only recommend using a power meter that calculates actual power from a strain gauge be it in the hub, pedal or crank. The reason you use PM is for accuracy as compared to heart rate. Using a poor calculated power is going back to that poor accuracy of actual effort. I don't think the Speedplay pedal PM would be good for MTB in any case.

Wot about the new look Keo pedal (with Polar) with power measuring thingys?

Maybe they also got a MTB version in the pipe line?

I'm actually more excited about the Garmin/Speedplay option. Hopefully it will be fully ANT+ so you can use your Garmin with mtb and roadbike. Well, that's my dream! For mtb's I hope they bring out a Shimano or eggbeater option

I'm actually more excited about the Garmin/Speedplay option. Hopefully it will be fully ANT+ so you can use your Garmin with mtb and roadbike. Well, that's my dream! For mtb's I hope they bring out a Shimano or eggbeater option

Isn't speedplay a problem when you get into mud much more-so than most other MTB pedals? And then won't they wear out so much quicker so that you will have to replace your PM more often than is affordable?

How do you find walking/running in speedplay during portages?

Isn't speedplay a problem when you get into mud much more-so than most other MTB pedals? And then won't they wear out so much quicker so that you will have to replace your PM more often than is affordable?

How do you find walking/running in speedplay during portages?

Nope, not suggesting using Speedplay at all for mtb, hence my mention of Shimano/eggbeaters...

Power meters are great but how can you constantly keep your watts where it needs to be a road bike with a power meter is a much better option, this is only my opinion though

Power meters are great but how can you constantly keep your watts where it needs to be a road bike with a power meter is a much better option, this is only my opinion though

I think there are long enough climbs and flat road stretches where it can be used effectively, but personally I would only use it during training. On an MTB I would rather be watching the terrain than looking down at my console the whole time. Either way, I guess it has its uses for all situations in Road and MTB.

Power meters are not just about timetrialling, they also tell you your progress and what your training stress is. Like Edam says, read Training and racing with a power meter to get more details. I would just like to have all the data from my roadbike and mtb for training purposes and racing stats. Keeps me motivated more than anything else

I was thinking of another option to measure power: strain gauges on the cranks and processor and comms unit in the bb hollow? would need to be calibrated depending on cranks and setup but hmmmm ......

I was thinking of another option to measure power: strain gauges on the cranks and processor and comms unit in the bb hollow? would need to be calibrated depending on cranks and setup but hmmmm ......

Think SRM beat you to that idea over a decade ago. ;)