Joe Low

Which is the best  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best

• Hair wax
    • Chamois cream
    • Sun lotion spray
    • Other household item - explain below

So, away from home on the eve of the Kremetart, I see my drivetrain is in a helluva state & what would make me feel less guilty is if i could throw some more oil on it.

But not being that way inclined to think ahead & pack some, the 3 choices above are what I was left with in the room of my B&B.

Which would've been best or what else in your luggage might have done the job?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have gone to petrol station next morning and buy some diesel. Dunk my chain in there and wipe clean.

It's not something household, but you sure have access to it.

None! I would've bought some proper lube at registration, or begged borrowed off of fellow competitors!

Guest Big H

When you buy some at registration also get some Salusa 65 at the chemist. It will not make you remember but the missus will have to hide when you get back!!!!!!!! Jy moet daai goed vinnig sluk of you tong word styf!!!!!!!!

When you buy some at registration also get some Salusa 65 at the chemist. It will not make you remember but the missus will have to hide when you get back!!!!!!!! Jy moet daai goed vinnig sluk of you tong word styf!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the tip BigH but I dont know what this stuff is.  When I googled Salusa 65 I got:

"The Galactic Federation, Galctic Channeling site (dotcom)" of a guy called Mike Quinsey.

Not sure if this is what you meant or why the missus would object or whether extraterrestrial telepathy can clean a mucky chain.

And I never figured you were a closet Trekkie Big%20smile.

I would have gone to petrol station next morning and buy some diesel. Dunk my chain in there and wipe clean.

It's not something household' date=' but you sure have access to it.
[/quote']

Aag no Stewie man! Diesel is fuel. Go to the garage, yes, but dumpster dive and take out an "empty" can of oil from the dustbin. Inside you'll find enough to do 20 chains. Apply it with a match. You'll find plenty of those wherever smokers hang out.

What's wrong with it being fuel Johan?(Except that it would maybe attract every grain of sand or dust)

I used to clean my chains with diesel.

Nothing wrong with the fact that it is fuel. But if you are at a garage, get oil, not fuel. Oil is a good lubricant. Diesel is not. It is messy, splatters on your rims, smells bad and and and.

Don't clean your chains with solvents, clean them with soapy degreasers.

Guest Big H

Low Joe..... what is hair wax?????? ...... is it that stuff World  War II soldiers use to wax their snorre???????

JB: Diesel by the way is a lubricant, otherwise diesel pumps that inject at 14bar+ and their elements would seize! you only have to grip a diesel pumps "old simms" plunger then try putting it back in its cylinder and you will find it will not fit. So Diesel in my opinion would be far better than normal oil due to its finer viscosity (ability to penetrate) and less prone to attracting large dust particals. however, I would apply it sparingly.

So' date=' away from home on the eve of the Kremetart, I see my drivetrain is in a helluva state & what would make me feel less guilty is if i could throw some more oil on it.

But not being that way inclined to think ahead & pack some, the 3 choices above are what I was left with in the room of my B&B.

Which would've been best or what else in your luggage might have done the job?

[/quote']

Why you no ask me for some Sleepy

JB: Diesel by the way is a lubricant' date=' otherwise diesel pumps that inject at 14bar+ and their elements would seize! you only have to grip a diesel pumps "old simms" plunger then try putting it back in its cylinder and you will find it will not fit. So Diesel in my opinion would be far better than normal oil due to its finer viscosity (ability to penetrate) and less prone to attracting large dust particals. however, I would apply it sparingly.[/quote']

I said: Nothing wrong with the fact that it is fuel. But if you are at a garage, get oil, not fuel. Oil is a good lubricant. Diesel is not. It is messy, splatters on your rims, smells bad and and and. "

I acknowledged that it is a lubricant, just not a good one for the appllication. Under the right conditions even water is a lubricant. Like when you go for a long roadbike ride in the rain and all your oil is washed out of the chain. As long as it remains wet, the chain doesn't squeak, as soon as it dries out, the chain tweets like a canary.

I'm sure you'll appreciate the problems of keeping a supply of water on the chain when it is not raining. Likewise with diesel. It splatters off very quickly and then you're stuck with a dry chain- dry in anyway where it matters, inside.

Diesel is certainly not a better lubricant than motor oil. Low viscoscity has no advantages, since thicker oil penetrates through capillary action, something that's not clearly understood by most cyclists. And once it penetrates, it tends to stay put, whereas lighter oils fly off or evaporate.

Oil is your friend. Diesel is fuel.

I used some oil in a thrown away can @ the garage 15w40 or something similar - it was an extreme emergency.  Worked very well, just gets quite clogged up after a ride, but when u got nothing else then go for it!

Hi JB your statements seems too subjective for me, I would really appreciate some facts and data to back the following up... as my lecturers used to say

smiley2.gif

Diesel is not (a good lubricant)! depends on the application?

It splatters off very quickly! data please for the application... we're talking about "Road bike Chains"

Diesel is certainly not a better lubricant than motor oil! facts please based on the application "Road Bike Chains"

Low viscoscity has no advantages, since thicker oil penetrates through capillary action... Explain yourself, does Diesel not have capillary action or does it have less?

how much quicker will it "fly off and evaporate"

what SAE oil are you comparing it to?

Zambuk, may bru. Works a treat. And you can put it on your lips. Tiger Balm would also work, but don't put to much on your lips at one time. And it's a standard household item.