EPIC BIKE

Berry

WHAT IS THE MINIMUN THAT YOU NEED TO COMPLETE THE EPIC A R5000 BIKE OR R40000 BIKE  CAN I GO HARTAIL OR MUST YOU HAVE A SOFTAIL I AM A NOOB SO ALL I WANT IS TO FINISH AND DONT BRAKE THE BANK

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your expense only start with the bike... think about the "training races", nutrition for your long rides, servicing and replacement of components as you train, physio etc and you will find that the bike is only the start.

You want components that is durable and relyable. If they are light too, its a bonus. Think XT, or SRAM X9 minimum and think good solid wheels, tubeless setup and a reasonable suspension system. Its been done on Hardtails before, but for about 5k extra, you'll have alot more comfort. And lets face it: You've got the use of the bike for a few more years. You should be able to get a good duelsus bike for about R25K.

I am a roadie, my advice

Dual Susser (4") XT / X9

Get your tire setup right

comfy saddle

comfy grips

then train like an animal, those epic days are long and hard!

Budget is secondry, when you are suffering that R5000,00 you didn't spend seems such a small sacrafice!

I agree with MAM, in my opinion a race like the Epic is to the average rider (especially if you're new to it) for the most part all about reliability and comfort. Sure, a super-light bike might reduce your effort over the overall distance, but if you're not an expert-level rider, it'll hurt you more.

Go full suspension, tubeless and look at a bike with an SLX/XT combo. SLX is just as reliable as XT, but a little heavier. Bear in mind that stuff breaks on races like these, often because you keep on riding with something that's knocked out of adjustment somewhere.

As he said, R25k (or R20k with R5k spares/repairs budget) will get you a bike that's more than up to the challenge. A R5k bike won't cut it, simply because of the reliability aspect, not because of bling and fancy features.

I have seen them all on Epics. From 16kg Giant Talons to the most expensive Scott dual suss bikes. And they all (well... most) finished. In 2008 I got the idea that the most popular choice was Anthems. Last year Spesh Epics. This year I saw lots of lightweight hardtails. 'Breaking the bank'? If you can afford the entry fee, you can afford a XT level dual suspension. 

i hear xt used alot ...what about xtr is that to liteweight for an epic event ??

XTR... allotta extra money for a very small loss in overall weight. Personally? XT/XTR crank with SRAM X9/0 the rest. 

I read a good artical that was in the Ride Mag last month ( I think or some other bike mag?)

Epic costs +- R57k ALL IN per rider, including training races/spares/etc etc and a WHOLE LOT OF EXTRAS...OUCH!!

Did it this year on a Hardtail and loved it! DId it the year before on a Dual sus and also loved it...So I guess choose your ride to what you enjoy. 

My 2c

That article in the RIDE is a very good source of reading. The guy sets out the cost nicely to give you a good idea of what it will cost.

Talked to the owner of the LBS, he finished his 5th Epic this year in a respectable position. He says dual-sus for the average rider. Also told me to budget for a lot of spares, new cables everyday or every second day, new chain and cassette before the start of the Epic and a new set after. Budget for a few tyres during the race.

The RIDE article sums it up good. I think it is worth the cost to buy a proper bike, since you are going to be  spending a lot of time before and during the Epic on it.

Agree with Vivster on the spares...

We went through 2*chains/ 1*tyres/ 2*cables through the Epic 

i will give the epic a miss thanks ! too pricey for me ....

but hold on guys !!!!

think we all missed something !!

2 kenyans completed the jozi2c in great time !!!

v brakes ,hardtail and dated shock ...

so i think its simple ...get in the saddle and ride ...

riding is all about fitness and not so much about spec on bike..

itxs the age old story of the carpenter and his tools

i will give the epic a miss thanks ! too pricey for me ....

but hold on guys !!!!

think we all missed something !!

2 kenyans completed the jozi2c in great time !!!

v brakes ' date='hardtail and dated shock ...

so i think its simple ...get in the saddle and ride ...

riding is all about fitness and not so much about spec on bike..

itxs the age old story of the carpenter and his tools
[/quote']

The Kenyans, were machines!! Totally differnet to you and me!

And also they were sponsored and Pro's

hey santa i agree with the machines coment .

but from what i hear they were not that well sponserd

and their bike were worth no more than 8k each ..

im sure they had a ton of help from other riders along the way ..

nut thats why i like this sport so much we all get stuck in and get on with it !!!

cant wait to see them on the event list next year !