Survey on PPA. Please complete, be Honest!

Guest Frail4Life

Guest Frail4Life

Please complete this Survey. Please offer ideas how PPA can improve their Service. We need ALL types of cyclists and bikers to complete this Survey to get your feedback.

I am here for Solutions. To make life for a Cyclist or Biker Safer, more interesting, exciting and enjoyable for ALL Men and Women.

I got a Question for All you Hubbers.

What do You want DONE?

What is Your pet HATE?

How can PPA or Any Club improve / increase their Membership?

I can always supply the Popcorn?LOL

David

frail2010-06-07 20:27:16

Guest Frail4Life
DONE. Thumbs%20Up

Done (what) ?

What is your input on PPA?

How can we make it more Safer, interesting and Enjoyable for ALL?

PPA is going down.

Either I change to a New Organisation or we make adjustments to the present state of Services.

Not here to promote another group (you can google my other thread concerning my opinion on PPA), but as a MTBer, PPA has no home for me.

I'm not renewing but instead will be taking my memberships fees to someone else that without him and his organisation, MTBing would be worst off.

Guest Frail4Life
Hard to answer without sarcasm.

I am always open to suggestions.Wink

Guest Frail4Life
Not here to promote another group (you can google my other thread concerning my opinion on PPA)' date=' but as a MTBer, PPA has no home for me.

I'm not renewing but instead will be taking my memberships fees to someone else that without him and his organisation, MTBing would be worst off.
[/quote']

I am at the moment on the fence.

I have been contacted by a source possibly the same Group.

I am at this point trying to see if PPA are willing to improve, better their Services.

Why is the survey linked to University of Stellenbosch?

I also wondered that.

I wonder if I student is putting the idea through as a project.

They will gather the stats etc for a project and ppa will get the results. Bit of a win win situation for them two but not for us cyclists though.

I found the questions were more like - tell us how great we are.

Question 14 should be on a scale as all those points are valid.

Thank you for taking

the time to complete the survey. We appreciate your input.

Yours in cycling

the PPA Executive

Committee

Nobody2010-06-07 07:40:20

Question 14 should be on a scale....

Typical hubber... Always wants to know what it weighs.

smiley36.gif

Guest Frail4Life

Ok.

I got a Question for All you Hubbers.

What do You want DONE?

What is Your pet HATE?

How can PPA or Any Club improve / increase their Membership?

David

What I want done? I want them to use their power (Argus is one of their tools they dont use properly) to increase cycle awareness, create safer commuting (routes and driver/cyclist education).

What is my pet hate? PPA in general. They mess up Mountainbike races and never take responsibility. Any question is answered with a question "Are your membership fee paid up?"

Increase memberships? Restructure, change the top tier of the organisation and allow young blood in.

I joined, realised it was a cash cow for some fat cats and never renewed. Instead put the money towards AMA, which by the way is the perfect example of how a club should be run. Even little Tygerberg club has me as a member and i dont even live in the NS. PPA can learn alot from these 2 clubs.

Guest Frail4Life
What I want done? I want them to use their power (Argus is one of their tools they dont use properly) to increase cycle awareness' date=' create safer commuting (routes and driver/cyclist education).

What is my pet hate? PPA in general. They mess up Mountainbike races and never take responsibility. Any question is answered with a question "Are your membership fee paid up?"

Increase memberships? Restructure, change the top tier of the organisation and allow young blood in.

I joined, realised it was a cash cow for some fat cats and never renewed. Instead put the money towards AMA, which by the way is the perfect example of how a club should be run. Even little Tygerberg club has me as a member and i dont even live in the NS. PPA can learn alot from these 2 clubs.
[/quote']

Exactly my points in other thread," PPA what do they do?"

Thanks for your comments.Clap

Dear Frail Uil,

My thoughts :- Trust you have contacts to get them heard (yup I will also do the PPA survey)

Safety first - Legal.
* PPA must engage government and traffic dept. to legislate a safer world for cyclist.
* More laws to protect Cyclists
* More laws to scare the Car drivers away from cycles
* More Standing Signs along road - 'Caution Please - Cyclists'
* All YELLOW lanes to be marked "Cyclist and Emergency Lane Only"

Cyclists are not only you and me on our road or MTB - it is/must be more commuters.
(specially in this country where poverty already makes transport a problem)

Safety first - Awareness Exposure to Masses Radio / TV / Press
* Benefits of Cycling - promote - get more cycle riders.
* Cyclist rights - what they are - enforce them,
* Get Car drivers to understand - Cycles are LEGAL road vehicles,
* Caution around cyclists etc.

MTB - promotion

I have been cycling (Road and MTB) for 30 yrs - and in the discussions, I always hear that:-
* 5 (or more ?) MTB bikes are sold for every 1 Road bike because :-
* People want exercise but are scared of the roads.
* People want to ride off-road for the nature and fresh air
* Most Road Bikers also have MTB's and want the variety
* MTB looks fun

BUT Funrides are mostly structured as :
i) Long Distance = Kamikaze pilots (long and very technical routes)
ii) Medium Distance = half the Kamikaze route
iii) Short route = Mom and Kids 10km dirt road.

The most popular MTB fun rides are the Karoo to Coast, etc type events.
This is because the ride is LONG and TOUGH enough, but not crazy technical. Even rides like the Sani2C (which have more technical parts) are in short supply.

At the moment MTB Funrides (long ride 50-80km) are only the 40-60 Death-wish riders that attend the event. Most MTB bike buyers will try their hand at the also technical (Medium ride) But only go once or twice - fall a couple of times - then call it quits.

Country wide, a small group rules the structure and nature of the routes.

MTB owners in general want more long (60km + ) Fun rides that are not crazy technical.

They are not scared of long steep hills and jeep track - they are even prepared to walk and climb the steep stuff, but they don't want dangerous stuff - , loose rock paths, or those narrow steep, killer descents etc.

Unfortunately, to avoid including these downhill sections in rides, restricts the overall route layout more - but the result is LOW turnout at events.

This current thinking of a ride must be super technical -

* is not fair to the MTB buyers/owners who fund the cycle shops and who want to join in,

* Is not fair to the sponsors who want to see a large exposure, and

* is not fair to the organisers and beneficiaries because low numbers equal low income.

Only the young guns can manage the crazy stuff and we never grow the sport with the potential it has as indicated by the number of bikes being sold.

Worst still, I have to go alone because all my road buddies (who also have MTB's) are scared off !

[sure one can argue MTB is not for sissies - I don't want to start a Hub thread or argument on 'mtb too technical', here. One already exists on the Hub. Further, the hubbers are the dedicated group that contains the Kamikaze pilots - so its not the place to get a fair view of MTB owners in general]

phew !

Fun Rides

* More Fun rides - road and MTB.
We have too many weekends in the WC and other provinces where nothing is presented.

* Another check on why fees are so high. (perhaps as mentioned above MTB fees must be high because so few contribute)

Bikes to the poor

Development - Promotion

* More work into designing a cheap bike for the masses

* partnership with Raleigh or who-ever to manufacture/promote and sell/handout millions of beginner basic bicycles - for commuting.

* With Cycle SA etc . find and develop talent.

Boy, I can go on all day - but need some coffee now   :-)

In closing ;
At present, the PPA is just the cash cow, doing the timing at the rides - and generally seen as the mafia controlling who is allowed to present a fun ride.

Nojo King2010-06-09 06:15:06